An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is one rosary a day enough if you’re considering religious life??

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

I’ve been praying 1 rosary a day for years, but I feel I could be doing more.  Do you have any other prayer suggestions?? Any prayers for the recently deceased?

thank you and God bless!

Edited by 28yrolddiscerner

There really isn't any "set" number of times to pray the rosary.

I would do what the Holy Spirit moves you to do!

You can check out various religious communities and check out their prayer schedules (such as the community "Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church") to see that reciting of the rosary is a part of their schedule only once. 

(Of course, I am sure they and other Nuns/Sisters recite the rosary throughout the day, as many times as they feel the need to)

So please, don't feel like you NEED to recite the Holy rosary more than once! 

Here is a poem "For the Dead" I found..

God our Father, 
Your power brings us to birth, 
Your providence guides our lives, 
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence, 
their lives change but do not end. 
I pray in hope for my family, 
relatives and friends, 
and for all the dead known to You alone. 

In company with Christ, 
Who died and now lives, 
may they rejoice in Your kingdom, 
where all our tears are wiped away. 
Unite us together again in one family, 
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen.

Others on here, can give you some excellent insight and guidence as well! You came to a wonderful source for ideas and help! 

May God bless you in your journey of discovery!

It’s repeated often enough on here, but I would recommend getting a spiritual director for this sort of thing.

They will help you have peace about your spiritual practices, so that you do not fall into any pitfalls on the way, and help you listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.

In addition, I imagine that the obedience you give a spiritual director is itself a better preparation for the obedience of religious life, as good as praying more is.

One thing I would really suggest is praying Liturgy of  the Hours if you don't already do. It can be a bit confusing but I have found iBreviary (a free app) to be very helpful in learning the rhythm. 

If there is a particular community that you are interested in maybe try adapting some of their prayer practices into your own life. It can be helpful to see if it is a fit for you. Knowing what works for you spiritually is super helpful in discernment. For example personally I find great fruit in Lectio Divina and LoTH. However the Rosary not so much. So when I found that balance in the community I knew it would most likely be a good fit.

Sister Leticia

There are no "quotas". One person might say the rosary while walking to work; another might listen to Pray As You Go on their phone in a crowded train; another might have a schedule which means they only manage to slip into a church for 5 minutes. It's all done for God (and not to please a vocation director!) and God sees and knows what is in our hearts, and sees and understands our desires and longings.

I hope you find a wise person you can talk to about any anxieties you might feel re "doing enough".

9 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

There are no "quotas". One person might say the rosary while walking to work; another might listen to Pray As You Go on their phone in a crowded train; another might have a schedule which means they only manage to slip into a church for 5 minutes. It's all done for God (and not to please a vocation director!) and God sees and knows what is in our hearts, and sees and understands our desires and longings.

I hope you find a wise person you can talk to about any anxieties you might feel re "doing enough".

@Sister Leticia Took the words right out of my mouth :)

• 3 weeks later...
Indwelling Trinity

When I was

And that's silent presence I Believe In My Heart heels the multitude of wounds spoken with the tongue that leave our world on the Press precipice of disaster and more. Look to your your heart It is not how many rosaries you say in a day, but with what ❤️ it is said with. 

I went through a terrible time in my early religious life when I was a missionary still and for the life of me I could not pray the prayers with the community. As much as I wanted say them;and as much as I want to obey my superiors, probably more out of fear of getting scolded than anything else .  The pronouncing each word was almost act of violence for me.

I went to my father Confessor and told him of my dilemma he was also a Benedictine Camaldoli hermit  at San Gregorio al Cielio and formerly a Missionary priest. Very intelligent and holy. 

He told me sister why are you torturing yourself. You came to the convent to pray. 

He said anytime in saying community prayers or office you feel compelled to be silent before the Lord in your prayer in your prayer let your heart be at peace do not fear but be at peace and after if you have any questions or any misgivings go to whoever is your Superior or confession tell him or her what has happened and seek guidance.

And even if the response is not what you were hoping to hear follow it because you will find in a little while how far you have come in for air prayer and how please God is that you comforted him if not by your son and contemplation then by your active obedience to those who are placed over you what they are better than you or worthy of more worthy than you aware that they are poorer than you that's not for you to judge and it's not easy to do but the results of it are rooted in the grace of God.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone too much but all I know is that once I did that good or bad right or wrong periods were I felt God abandoned me with this sickness that is taking my life bit by bit I always know God is there even when he doesn't speak

• 2 weeks later...
Indwelling Trinity

I love you and mi's you ally so much!  My coordination is and cognition is getting poorer by the day.  T the in information is still there but getting it from my brain to my Hands or mouth can be quite a challenge.  Please excuse all my mistakes I in my original post here.  My older friend ends here know I have end stage Multiple Sclerosis from my cervical vertibrea 3-5 affecting my ability to think clearly at times.  It also text by speech ability to write my sense of touch my vision and my ability to eat or swallow anything solid and keep it down. This in turn causes me to choke on food and water and I have lost almost all my teeth from the acid of constantly vomiting eroding the enamel on my teeth.

This doesn't mean that it's all bad if he wants to know why I like it I break and I have good days when I can choke and smile and be the same goofy person I used to be.

Everything I am going through right now it's a combination between the Dark Night of the Soul and the Holy Light Of God. I I had a friend when I was in the April days who always used to say to us religious life is Miseria, Misericordia,, and Magnificat !!! 

Despite my sickness and my sins my Confessor father Fidelis which makes me laugh because that was the first name I was given in Caramel sister was just sister Fidelis which made me cringe unless you're too sick carry out your duties in some mitigated form 

'I only relay this cornucopia of information to new members so they do not think I have gone raving head or worse  yet gone senile.  I love you am and seem to be going into a mild improvement I praise the goodness of God and hope to spend some time with a of you. god bless you as we son enter into that most beautiful mystery às we await the coming of our God!!!