An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Gregory's UNiversity (OKLA) Closing

Luigi

St. Gregory's Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma

[11-08-17]

It is with sadness that we announce that the Board of Directors of St. Gregory’s University has voted to suspend the operations of the university at the end of the current semester. Please pray in a special way for the employees of the university and their families as they face the loss of their jobs and for our students who will need to transfer to other schools. The monks remain committed to our life at St. Gregory’s Abbey and will continue in our witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and our service to the Church and humanity. Please pray for us in this time of difficult transitions.

I graduated with a BA in Theology from that school. Sure, the program wasn't good and the Catholic sorority turned me down because I was quiet and did my homework by myself, but I didn't think that the university was in such trouble.

I've been looking around and they were denied a loan from the Department of Agriculture. That's odd. They don't even have that major. 

8 hours ago, tinytherese said:

I graduated with a BA in Theology from that school. Sure, the program wasn't good and the Catholic sorority turned me down because I was quiet and did my homework by myself, but I didn't think that the university was in such trouble.

I've been looking around and they were denied a loan from the Department of Agriculture. That's odd. They don't even have that major. 

The loan from the Dept. of Agriculture had some connection to the Potowatamie nation. The University announced fairly recently that it had formalized some sort of arrangement to educate Potowatamie students - the nation had committed to sending its college-aged students to the university, I think. My guess is that the Dept. of Agriculture has funds earmarked for support of Native nations and that the university applied for some of those funds. Apparently, it didn't work out.