An Old School Catholic Message Board

First time on a plane

CatherineM

Where did you go?

I was going to Denver. Bad turbulence. No idea how they got me back on the plane to come home. It was to a conference on the farm crisis in 1988. 

1992 or 1993. 3 hour flight to Miami. My grandmother told me to ask for cookies and milk and a blanket when I'm cold cuz they'd give it to me. Completely different time in air travel. In those days you didn't need a ticket to wait in the terminal.

Edited by Era Might

My first and last was around 1978.  Fancy dress party at my brother's shared house in the town where my brother was a teacher.  It was a small aircraft and I was scared silly, but could not find my parachute.  Never flown since and never will if I can help it.

1980.  I was 20 and flew from Tampa to Chicago for my grandmothers’s funeral.   I barely remember the flight.   Since then, I’ve flown at least a couple hundred times in many different vehicles, devoloped a serious fear of flying, then mostly got over it.   Am most comfortable in smaller, propeller type planes because they “fly” better than a cannonball hurled through the air.  I have to spend 8-9 hours distracting myself when visiting the UK...

I think it was on a small plane from Dallas, TX to Lafayette, LA. A prop plane. I was like, 12 I think? Flew by myself to visit my aunt. Can't remember if I was scared or not.

Since then, I've lost count. I fly 10-20 times a year, as I work for an airline.

1982… 20+ hour trip to India with my parents and sister. I was four years old and don't remember the journey back and forth, but I do have faint memories of visiting relatives. Oh yeah, we met St. Mother Teresa…

The first one I remember we had to walk across the tarmac and I could hear the giant 747 engine on. I was scared they were going to leave without us so my four-year-old self started running and promptly tripped, scraping my knee badly enough to make the flight attendant pale at all the blood when we finally got on the plane! They bandaged it, but I was miserable the whole flight since my sibling got the window seat. Didn’t learn any life lessons though.

Not A Mallard

Nashville, Tennessee for the 2015 SEEK conference

Every time the plane hit turbulence, I pictured John Hammond going "Yahoo!"

Edited by Not A Mallard