An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Opinion-Custody of the Eyes

Marsabielle

Sister Leticia

There are still a lot of mediaeval monasteries in continental Europe. If you ever visit them (and if you raise your eyes!) you will often see carved, vaulted ceilings and lovely, intricate carvings on walls and pillars. All done for the glory of God, but also, presumably, for the inspiration of the monks and nuns - to help them raise their hearts and souls to God. These carvings aren't only in the chapel (where the non-custody of the eyes public would have attended Mass), but also in the chapter house, refectory and elsewhere. I really cannot believe that stonemasons went to all the trouble of putting those carvings up there for people who were never expected to raise their eyes and see them!

Ergo: as Beatitude has said, mediaeval monks and nuns can't have spent ALL their time staring at the floor, and later ones wouldn't have either. (This is quite apart from the practicalities of actually needing to look up and around you at times!)

Edited by Sister Leticia
incomplete

• 2 weeks later...
28yrolddiscerner

I think it would be good practice to keep one's eyes down in the presence of someone who was improperly dressed.  But being a monk around other monks, there seems to be no reason unless he is living among laity.  I think it is admirable, but could become a wall in getting to know people. He or she could become uncomfortable looking at people, which would be a shame.

Much better than oogling people though.

• 2 weeks later...
Indwelling Trinity

In the missionaries of Charity there was great emphasis put on custody of the senses.  What evil you do not see cannot come back to your mind at night and tempt you and cause you to sin. Having  custody of your thoughts when not occupied by other things not related to your vocation allows you to brood over little irritations by other sisters to the point you are sweating bullets. And if you are in the cloister,  these things can become quite distressing. Think of being next to a sister 7-9  times a day who clears her throat about every 30 seconds. For the next 30 years  Custody of the tongue. Have you e ever meet someone who always knows t the inside scoop on almost everything? Walking nearest the wall we did not practice but I tried to give others the r right of way as a sign of respect and love. 

I cannot tell you how many times these  little things saved my vocation but they also taught me how to pray a and how to love. 

Most young  people myself included, 30 years ago are drawn e excessively b by the things  that shine in religious life. I do not condemn it rather I see it as a visible struggle for the soul to truly become inside what he or she manifests to the world outside. 

It is fine to do that but keep a balance in what you do. 

What you want to be in seminal form, you already have God is calling you each has a special vocation whether to the priesthood,  religious life, active or contemplative  or holy matrimony whatever it is live it now as you can. Pray as you can  and not as you can't. 

What I say to you most emphatically is get your heads out of the small stuff. We may very well be headed for a 1nuclear meltdown, a collapse of our economy and in the media sheer evil. Don't wait u until  tomorrow to  radiate Jesus  start now for the sake of souls and to comfort Jesus bringing his mercy to all you meet. 

I am praying for you  take heart! .I am 30 years a religious and still growing and learning. In my case t the lord forgot to put in a few screws. 

Indwelling Trinity

On 12/8/2017 at 12:25 AM, Indwelling Trinity said:

In the missionaries of Charity there was great emphasis put on custody of the senses.  What evil you do not see cannot come back to your mind at night and tempt you and cause you to sin. Having  custody of your thoughts when not occupied by other things not related to your vocation allows you to brood over little irritations by other sisters to the point you are sweating bullets. And if you are in the cloister,  these things can become quite distressing. Think of being next to a sister 7-9  times a day who clears her throat about every 30 seconds. For the next 30 years  Custody of the tongue. Have you e ever meet someone who always knows t the inside scoop on almost everything? Walking nearest the wall we did not practice but I tried to give others the r right of way as a sign of respect and love. 

I cannot tell you how many times these  little things saved my vocation but they also taught me how to pray a and how to love. 

Most young  people myself included, 30 years ago are drawn e excessively b by the things  that shine in religious life. I do not condemn it rather I see it as a visible struggle for the soul to truly become inside what he or she manifests to the world outside. 

It is fine to do that but keep a balance in what you do. 

What you want to be in seminal form, you already have God is calling you each has a special vocation whether to the priesthood,  religious life, active or contemplative  or holy matrimony whatever it is live it now as you can. Pray as you can  and not as you can't. 

What I say to you most emphatically is get your heads out of the small stuff. We may very well be headed for a 1nuclear meltdown, a collapse of our economy and in the media sheer evil. Don't wait u until  tomorrow to  radiate Jesus  start now for the sake of souls and to comfort Jesus bringing his mercy to all you meet. 

I am praying for you  take heart! .I am 30 years a religious and still growing and learning. In my case t the lord forgot to put in a few screws. 

Indwelling Trinity

This is off the orginal topic- "Clearing of the throat" is a "Habit" of some people (religious AND not) that can really grate on one's nerves!! I know! I was involved in a relationship, where the person ALWAYS seem to clear their throat!! When I would ask (repeatedly) "what was wrong?" they would answer with a variety of explanations! It also can be considered a "TIC"! 

I am no longer involved with that person....and I certainly do not MISS hearing that person continuing "Clearing their throat"!! Lol (Same with a person that continually makes "Sniffing" noises!  (However, that is another experience!  lol )