An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contemplative life Q&A

chrysostom

There was a post in the Q&A asking for info on contemplative life - I wrote a response but thought it might better be answered here.

I linked to some resources in my reply but I'm sure y'all can help suggest more resources or contacts. Or even old Phatmass threads that I didn't find.

I'm discerning with a contemplative community and have done a three month live-in. Not sure if that makes me "qualified" or not but here are my two cents anyways.

I discerned with two active communities (one pretty seriously) before discerning with a contemplative community.  I can't really say that there are general pros or cons to the contemplative life.  Yes there are specific challenges with contemplative life. Not more or less than the active life, just different from what I have seen. Also what might be a "con" in my opinion may be a pro for another person.  Also I am finding that contemplative life can look very different depending on the community and the order.  So that would also make it hard define general pros and cons.

The funny thing is I never really saw myself as a contemplative. Yet this in the invitation the Lord has given me and I feel strongly this is what He is asking of me. The life just seemed to fit even though I know I have a lot of room to grow in prayer. I am reminded of the quote, "God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called". 

Keep in mind, too that--like any form of religious life--there are huge differences from one community to the next. So do not overgeneralize. And don't assume that characteristics of one community (or even one monastery of a particular order or congregation) is going to be like every other.