An Old School Catholic Message Board

Walking close to the walls

John Paul

I have read that in some communities (I think New Melleray is one)   the members have to walk close to the walls in the cloister . What is the purpose of this? 

Why don’t you just ask the community?  Since we haven’t had experience with a particular community, it would only be conjecture on our part.

Custody of the eyes, walking close to the wall, looking only at the floor, off the cuff remarks about irritation in choir signaling no vocation to RL, etc.  Is this what we really should be concerned about?  A bit too voyeuristic for me, thank you very much.

2 hours ago, John Paul said:

I have read that in some communities (I think New Melleray is one)   the members have to walk close to the walls in the cloister . What is the purpose of this? 

Maybe you should read (or not!) The Nun's Story.  One of the scenes which stood out in that book for me was the postulants being instructed to walk close to the wall for a couple reasons. Primarily, it was about humility - why do you think you can take up a whole hallway by walking down the middle of it? Why are you so important? Especially in old, cramped convents, there's a spiritual practicality behind it.

The Nuns Story is fiction.  Just like the Internet, don't believe everything you read :))  If you have a particular question, why not go to the source and ask a particular community?  That way you'll get the real explanation.

graciandelamadrededios

Its a monastic custom and if I remember correctly, it is done so that one do not attract attention to oneself.  I have read tons of custom books so I can no longer recall which Order/s had/has this custom.  

But since you mentioned New Mellaray, I would have to browse again their Regulations.

Customaries from 50 or 100 years ago are hardly descriptive of what is happening today in most monastic communities. As with anything, if you are curious about something, either read current sources or ask people in a community today, as Francis Clare suggested.