An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confessional dissmisal

BarbTherese

Why did the following dismissal blessing cease (or has ceased in every Confession I make nowadays - Sth Aust)

"May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of all the saints, whatever good you do and suffering you endure, heal your sins, help you to grow in holiness, and reward you with eternal life. Go in peace."

Hi BarbaraTherese,

this dismissal blessing is standard in confession heard according to the extraordinary form.  It ceased being part of the ordinary form dismissal years ago (I can't give you an exact date).  Some priests will still say it, but your experience will vary. I've only heard it from one priest who was not hearing confessions using the extraordinary form. 

From the ritual, these are the appropriate dismissals (including the one you've listed, but very rarely heard in some places) From: https://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWFORMA.HTM

PROCLAMATION OF PRAISE OF GOD AND DISMISSAL

47. After the absolution, the priest continues:

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. The penitent concludes: His mercy endures for ever.

Then the priest dismisses the penitent who has been reconciled, saying:

The Lord has freed you from your sins. Go in peace.

Or [93]:

May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of all the saints, whatever good you do and suffering you endure, heal your sins, help you to grow in holiness, and reward you with eternal life. Go in peace.

Or:

The Lord has freed you from sin. May he bring you safely to his kingdom in heaven. Glory to him for ever. W. Amen.

Or:

Blessed are those whose sins have been forgiven, whose evil deeds have been forgotten. Rejoice in the Lord, and go in peace.

Or: Go in peace, and proclaim to the world the wonderful works of God who has brought you salvation.