An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tabernacle out of sight

Kateri89

I went to Mass with my sister yesterday and have been to her parish many times.  I’ve been very bothered by the fact that the tabernacle is out of sight.  It is in the north transept which is blocked off by a partition so you can’t see it.  After Mass yesterday I went into the north transept to make sure that the tabernacle was there which it was, in a little alcove with spotlights.  What bothered me was that I saw so many parishioners genuflecting toward the altar where there was no tabernacle, but when many parishioners were leaving the church and passed by the tabernacle, they didn’t even bat an eyelash.  I’m given to understand that Canon Law requires that the tabernacle be conspicuous and given a place of honor in the church, if not directly behind the altar.  My concern is that placing it out of sight has a direct correlation to the decline in genuine understanding and awareness of, as well as devotion to our Eucharistic Lord and I wondered what people thought about this.  It would be especially helpful if we could examine this in light of Canon Law.

I also would like to know which direction to genuflect in or if one should genuflect at all when the tabernacle is not visible?

dominicansoul

I find it ridiculous that churches do this.  

I remember when a new pastor came to the University Catholic Student Center and immediately he set about redecorating the chapel.  First thing he did was pull the ugly carpet out and have tile put in, with marble tile added to the Sanctuary/Altar area.  He immediately moved the Tabernacle, which had been on the side, to the center of the Sanctuary.  

When we had our first Mass, he asked us if we liked the flooring?  Then he said, "oh and by the way, we decided the Tabernacle was out of place, so we put it where we believe it should go."  And to that, he got a roaring applause.  

Priests, church councils, church architects, etc. do the people such an injustice by remodeling churches that push Christ out of the Sanctuary.  I don't care what explanation is given for such a thing, but I can bet the majority of the people don't want Jesus pushed aside.  

Well it’s interesting because there is another church closer to where she lives that is aesthetically unpleasing in many ways so she doesn’t go there and yet it’s a very impressive parish.  They have a perpetual adoration chapel and in the nave the tabernacle is directly behind the altar.  The priest who usually offers Mass gives excellent homilies and the priest that offered Mass this morning did so Ad Orientem (it was a Novus Ordo Mass) which really took me by surprise.  Many women veil there and the general feeling of reverence is palpable.  I feel like this parish gives a lot of honor and devotion to our Eucharistic Lord and as such has really instilled a deep faith in the parishioners.

I sent what I hope was a very friendly and polite email to the priest at the other church asking him if there were any plans to move the tabernacle into the nave and explained my concerns.

12 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

I also would like to know which direction to genuflect in or if one should genuflect at all when the tabernacle is not visible?

A bow toward the altar is the correct thing to do when tabernacle is not visible. 

I sometimes attend a parish that has the tabernacle off to the side in its own room, but the room is all glass, so very visible. It is also in the middle of the main space and the smaller chapel--so remains visible even for daily mass in the smaller chapel. So, in a way, shared between the two worship spaces.

It's actually nice to be able to have a semi-quite space to pray since silence in churches has become nearly extinct. 

You're right though, about a lack of understanding regarding genuflecting. My family is probably the only family that kneels as we pass by the tabernacle. Unfortunately, putting the tabernacle on the altar will not magically teach people why they genuflect. The ones who genuflect toward the altar (or the crucifix) will continue to do so regardless where the tabernacle is. The only thing it does is make those of us who know give them the benefit of the doubt. Lol.