An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope changing words to Our Father prayer?

Anomaly

Have you heard about it?

Do you know what’s to be changed?

Do you like or dislike it?

Has the Church seemed to make lots of changes to prayers?   Too many?

From what I read he's just changing the wording of "lead us not into temptation" for clarification. Not sure what prompted this though, I doubt many people are actually confused about the wording.

"Lead us not into temptation" to "let us not fall into temptation".

I think the original wording could imply that God may lead us to sin. I never thought that, but now that I read it, it might be taken that way by some?

i'm not a catholic but i think the most qualified person to make a change like this is the roman catholic pope. 

it would cause some division within christianity, because id guess protestants wouldn't change and there'd be a catholic our father and a noncatholic our father. i would hope some noncatholics would see the point and change as well. 

Honestly, of all the things the Pope has or has not done over the last five years, this is really one of the least things that people are getting worked up over.

The French just approved a new translation of this line, their third in 60ish years. The Pope's statements were about the Italian translation, and they apply for English too.  The Glory Be is another prayer that should be up for fixing - it came about through Henry VI or James I and is de rigeuur among Anglophones, despite not being a good translation.

By the same token, it would be a very hard thing to break people out of. One traditional(ist) parish that I attend in French uses a version of the Our Father that I have never been able to find anywhere else. It's recited differently there than from even the other parishes in the city. And although usually fine in Mass, when praying the rosary, I have a tendency to revert to the old version of the Apostles' Creed.

11 hours ago, Era Might said:

What about Jesus being "led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil."

Interesting point

............edit time ran out.

Although, as for Jesus the Doctrine of Divine Providence applies for us too. 

• 2 weeks later...