An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cool Nuns...

MaterDolorosa

MaterDolorosa

Edited: Only communities that are in communion with Rome and have the support of their diocese may be promoted on Phatmass. - beatitude.

I think this group is a restart of a hermitage that was in Mayo.  She may have had permission 20-odd years ago, but I don't think she does any longer.

Sister Leticia

Yes, I was wondering that, and - having looked at the website and not seen anything I'd describe as "cool" - I was thinking that maybe my understanding of the word "cool" isn't as up to date as I'd like to think. 

Given some research, it seems that this group is part of the SSPX Resistance.  According to an interview that "Sr. Irene" gave to a SSPX Resistance website on January 17, 2017, at that time she was the only member of the group (though she used plural pronouns throughout the interview and only acknowledged the lack of others when asked point-blank about how many were with her).  Also, during the interview, she said that she was "receiving sacraments" from 2 "priests" who (upon doing some research) seem to belong to the SSPX Resistance.

Upon looking at the group's own website, they profess "unswerving fidelity to the Tridentine Mass and Liturgy", and say absolutely nothing about the Pope, belonging to a particular diocese, or even Roman Catholicism in-general. 

Red flags are waving all over the place here, folks.  These (and I use that word lightly, since I haven't found evidence that there is more than one of them) are hardly "cool nuns".

There are current videos of this group on YouTube, unsure if they are in communion. Right now, it seems to be Sr Irene and a novice who just receivef the habit.