An Old School Catholic Message Board

'Glory of Virginity'?

TheLordsSouljah

TheLordsSouljah

Heyo Pham, a penny for your thoughts on something I've been pondering... I've heard in some prayers to/for/on feast days of virgins where they talk about them having lived their lives not having lost the 'glory of virginity'. What does the 'glory of virginity' mean? Sorry I can't quote an actual example but I've heard it a number of times and in my head I then negate that NOT being a virgin cannot therefore have glory, and dims the idea of marriage for me. Help? Explanations? I've had trouble in the past thinking of the marital act as something that can in fact be pure and good and want to remember that it in fact can be so; but when I read phrases like the above I find it doesn't help. Thoughts? 

Merci! TLS

um, the Virgin Mary was pretty spectacular, in of itself.

Virtue, Grace, Chastity, Purity, immaculacy are just a few things of great worth. 

I valued my virginity and saved it for my husband. However, if I’d known how wonderful the marital bond was going to be, I’d have gotten married way, way sooner. 

I always understood that construction to mean that virginity was itself a glory. Just as you'd say "don't waste the blessing of each day." You don't mean don't waste the blessing within each day. You mean the day is a blessing not to be wasted. Virginity is a glory not to be surrendered willy nilly.

TheLordsSouljah
On 12/12/2017 at 12:50 AM, Veiled said:

I always understood that construction to mean that virginity was itself a glory. Just as you'd say "don't waste the blessing of each day." You don't mean don't waste the blessing within each day. You mean the day is a blessing not to be wasted. Virginity is a glory not to be surrendered willy nilly.

Okay that makes heaps more sense! So, within the correct context of marriage, loosing it isn't what is being referred to, its saving it from sin, such as in the case of virgin martyrs?