An Old School Catholic Message Board

Caesar and the bible

Guest TMroofer89

Guest TMroofer89

My wife, who is COGWA, and I have been arguing about our religions. She states that since "Caesar rewrote the Catholic bible" and "Sunday is not God's holy day according to the bible it's Saturday" that Catholicism is not God's religion since its based upon the words of a man.  What bible based arguments or passages can I use to refute her claims?

I’m not sure where to begin. 

Parts of the Bible, the Old Testament were written before the first Caesar. Although later Emporers of Rome took the title Caesar, the ones we really call Caesar were gone before the New Testament was compiled. Hard to rewrite something after you’re dead. 

We’re not really celebrating the Sabbath as such on Sunday. We are celebrating the day of Christ’s resurrection. The word Sabbath can be used generically to mean a day of worship. 

As to our faith being written by a man, we believe that man was the note taker, but God was the author. That’s not word for word like a court reporter, but written in man’s words, at the time and place and influence of the present culture, and under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Even “testaments” written supposedly word for word by God, the Quran and the Book of Mormon, were still written down by the hand of man. 

It can be very difficult to have a rational, intelligent debate about such things with someone whose ideas are so odd. I don’t envy you. I suggest you visit the apologetics section of Phatmass. That’s your best ammunition, the truth. 

Catherine always has sensible insights. I would add, Caesar (or several Caesars) was the guy killing off the Christians - why would he write, rewrite, revise, or edit their scripture for them?