An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sad News of Sr Faith

beatitude

This is a terrible post for me to write. Many of you here knew my friend faithcecelia and followed her journey in and out of Carmel. She had to leave her monastery due to life-threatening asthma. I have just heard that she has died.

She has been very ill for a long time. Please pray for the repose of her soul, and for her family - her mum died not long ago and this will be a very hard Christmas for them.

Please also pray for me. I am numb.

Edited to add: I changed the title of this thread to call her Sister Faith rather than Faith. She always said she would never stop being a Carmelite nun in her heart. I am sure those Carmelite saints are claiming her as their sister even as I write.

This comes as a shock...so many of us followed the generous sharing of her vocation story and struggle with illness.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this - I followed Sister Faith’s Carmel journey 

I am am so sorry for the loss of your friend Beatitude 

It took about five hours for me to believe that she was really dead and another hour for the tears to come. I am sitting here crying and remembering Christmas 2015, which she spent with me and my family. She wasn't doing too badly that Christmas - she was able to come without bringing her wheelchair, and we even managed a slow twenty-minute walk to a local pond one day. There was another day when she was so tired after climbing the stairs that she couldn't leave her bedroom the rest of the day. I remember my parents were quite shocked by how unwell she was, but I was just thrilled that we'd been able to go for a walk. I gave her an embroidered cushion cover for Christmas, because she loved cross-stitch and was keen on bright colours. This year's present was going to be a small stained glass image of the Annunciation that can be hung in a window to catch the light. I don't know what to do with it now. I could keep it, but my heart feels as if it's going to burst whenever I look at it.

I need to go overseas for work on 2nd January and my manuscript is due with the publisher on 4th January. That date is in my contract. I have so much work to do. I can't collect my thoughts. I hope Faith will intercede for me and help me to do what needs to be done. Once I get these things done I will maybe ask for some compassionate leave and go away to a retreat house and just sit and cry and tell God I'm grateful I had such a good friend (and demand that he give her back - I know I still have her, but I want her in the earthly form. That form was great). The tears are welling up and I can barely put a sentence together, but I need to finish writing this book.

I hope everyone here is OK. I know there are lots of PMers who loved her. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

Oh Beatitude, I am so so sorry to hear this news.  I just don't have words, I didn't know her beyond what she shared on here so I can't imagine what you are going through.

I will be praying for you, for her and for her family.

ברוך דיין אמת

[Blessed be the Righteous Judge -- the traditional Jewish response upon hearing that someone has died]

She definitely was a pure soul.

This sad news. Many prayers for you Beatitude and Sister Faith's family at this time.

Edited by Jennifer

Sister Leticia

I too remember Faith's journey very well. When I first came across this forum, almost by accident, she was visiting Notting Hill. I remember a very long thread, which ended with her eventual entry. So my prayers are with her, and all those who have loved her, especially as her death appears to have been such a shock (despite her illness)

Beatitude - if your heart bursts whenever you look at the Christmas present then put it away. Maybe one day you will be able to reclaim it as Faith's final, physical Christmas gift to you. Or maybe you will one day meet someone to whom you know you can give it - and Faith, who longed to give all and live a life of Carmelite austerity would surely be very happy for "her" gift to be given away. But for now, in the rawness of grieving, you don't need to spend time dwelling on it.

And a thought: perhaps you could ask Faith's family if they would like you to inform NH and her previous Carmel about her death? Or just do it? It's one less thing for the family to do, and it would also mean that they will undoubtedly be prayed for, and know that they are being held in prayer. (And if you don't have the convents' contact details, they have websites and FB pages, so messages will get to them)

Hugs and blessings...

May she rest in peace and sing with the Angels.

And may you, and those who knew and loved her (even from afar on this Phorum), find peace despite the death of this young soul who was loved so dearly.

If anyone would like to give to charity in memory of Faith, she was helped by a breathing charity called NARA, whose staff were so lovely and kind to her. Without them she would have been in hospital far more frequently than she was.

Another charity is Inclusive Skating, which helps people with disabilities and illness to get involved in ice sports. Faith was a figure-skater herself in the days before she got so ill.

May His eternal light rest upon her soul.  I heard the news this morning, and was quite saddened by it.  Praying for her, her friends, and her entire family.

This is really hard news--I certainly remember her posts on here.  Please be assured of my prayers.   Beatitude, thank you for being such a good friend to her--hang in there...

Oh my gosh, I am shocked to read this. I’m so sorry for your loss and so sorry to read this. I haven’t been on Phatmass in years, probably, but I remember her very well from here. I’m glad I saw this so I can pray for her and her family. Thank you for letting us know.