An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Get Me to a Nunnery"

Pax17

Interesting piece. 

I have done a live in at a different Benedictine Abbey (still in discernment with them :) !!) and I can see echos in her writing of the guests that I encountered. A couple of days a week I was either cleaning on the guest side or answering the phone and door. It was amazing the different people you would encounter at a rural abbey. They would be from all backgrounds,  sometimes varied beliefs or understanding. It was sometimes surprising how little people knew or understood before signing up for a retreat or just coming to visit for a day. But I always had this sense that the Abbey was "guarding" a bit of the "spiritual desert". Providing that consistent quiet and atmosphere of prayer.

The comment about the notes made me chuckle. I had definitely experienced that. Notes could be left in choir stalls  or slipped to someone right before prayers (ok sometimes passed back with a quick reply too). 4 months later I am still finding ones tucked inside a book or in my Bible.

In 2012, as working nuns were becoming the quiet heroes of a crumbling church — advocating same-sex marriage and contraception, even as the Vatican continued to dismiss both as sinful — I wrote to Mother Lucia.

crumbling church, my foot. <_<

I wasn't going to comment on that part of the article but I did find it kind of odd. I just hope that as she gets to know some faithful Sisters that she can better understand true authentic Catholic teaching and the truth behind it.