An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two Poor Clare Monasteries Becoming One

Totally Franciscan

Totally Franciscan

I received a Christmas card from the Poor Clares of Los Altos Hills,  CA in which they said that St. Joseph Monastery in Aptos, CA is joining the Los Altos Hills monastery.  That was it, no reason why.  Interestingly, I just went online to go to the website of the Aptos monastery, and each time I clicked on it, it came to the Los Altos monastery website.  Does anyone know why these two are joining?  Seems very odd, as the Aptos monastery is not very old, actually it is quite beautiful and had a sufficient number of nuns to keep it going as I recall.  

I was just checked on the religiousministeries.com website (not always accurate, but usually pretty good), and it states that Aptos has 4 solemn professed and 1 perpetual profession (presumably an extern). The Los Altos community has 22. Don't know anything more than that, though.

Marie Villalovos Smith

Press release: 

The sisters acknowledge that because of diminishing numbers, aging and illness, the five remaining sisters, after prayer and discussion have voted unanimously to merge their St. Joseph Monastery with the Immaculate Heart Monastery in Los Altos Hills, CA.

• 2 months later...
Totally Franciscan

Does anyone know what will happen to the Aptos, CA monastery?  It is quite beautiful.   I was invited to the open house and enclosure when the sisters first moved in.  It is totally Franciscan in look.  Just wondered how someone else could use this type of a building.  It would be wonderful if another religious order of nuns took it over.  I certainly hope they don't tear it down.

graciandelamadrededios

I wonder if the Aptos Poor Clares will adopt the headress of Los Altos Poor Clares.  Aptos PC and Kokomo PC has the same headress.