An Old School Catholic Message Board

It’s Christmas, But Do I Need this Gift?

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

From Our Franciscan Fiat

There can be a temptation to become lax about receiving gifts as Sisters, a inclination to automatically accept and store away item received.

I realize, though, that a more careful reading of our directives should push me away from this.  I have accepted a life of poverty in imitation of Christ, born in a poor stable.  I have chosen to leave behind cultural tendencies to accumulate goods.

Our provincial directives as Dillingen Franciscans in the U.S. guide us:

Gifts– money or otherwise– are reported (shown) to the Superior.  If the Sister needs the gift, she asks for it; otherwise, she turns it in to a common fund…

Receiving gifts can almost become a bit of a burden.  It takes prayerful thought to decide: Do I really need this?  What should I do with it in light of my vows and our directives?

Sometimes, I have received things that neither I nor the ‘common fund’ are in need of.  What to do then?…stash it away in the common cupboard, I guess, until we come up with a worthy cause.  (Some such items have become prizes for our residents or gifts for the annual employee party.)

I am happy when a gift received is practical and is something for which I truly have a need.  Last evening was such a time.  I was given a box which had been hidden away, left by my parents at their last visit in late October.

I opened it, wondering what it might hold, and hoping it would not cause dilemmas delineated above.  To my delight, the box contained, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and baking chips, all which I can certainly use for baking cookies with our residents.

In preparing to write this post, I searched our directives for occurrences of the word “gift.”  It was interesting how often, in fact, it was found.  Most of these, however, were in reference to non-material gifts.

We are to share the gifts God has given us.  Whatever I have, whether material, spiritual, or otherwise, I am to be thankful for and willingly share  with others.

A Yearning Heart

I must admit, I have sometimes been into storing gifts in the cupboard, where they sit, unused.  Every few years I have a clean out, where anything not used is given away. Something like a giant spring clean. I would much prefer someone uses it, rather than it be hidden on my shelf. 

Over the years, our family has slowly shifted to really practical gifts (favourite food, clothing that is needed, etc) and away from gimmicks or things that won't be used much or at all, and we really think about what the other person might enjoy. The number of gifts has also decreased over time. Instead we've started to spread the load of Christmas cooking around, so that everyone brings some part of the meal to share and it helps make the day a much more communal affair and real celebration.  

The presence of people is a much more important gift.  I would much prefer having a good chat and time with a friend than having a fly-by visit and getting a gift that might sit in my room for a year unused.