An Old School Catholic Message Board

okay for catholics to not view bible as word of God?

linate

i consider myself very knowledgeable about catholic beliefs being a former catholic and studying it and all. yet i had to second guess the conventional wisdom that a catholic has to believe the bible is the word of God. is that officially the case? i see the american bishops saying the bible is the word of God

http://www.usccb.org/bible/understanding-the-bible/study-materials/articles/bible-at-core-of-catholic-beliefs.cfm

i had been willing to give the bible the benefit of the doubt as a practical matter despite all the twisted things in it, but lately i've been thinking it only deserves a certain plausibility as a theoretical matter. 

but i dont see necessarily that you have to believe it. i dont like straying too far from catholic teaching so what do you think, is it fair for a catholic to only view the bible as 'profitable' as is all the bible says about itself anyway, and only give that theretical benefit of the doubt?

for for fyi here are some reasons i think what i do:
after all, the bible says that God himself commanded people to get put to death for gathering sticks on sunday or being disrespectful to one's parents. even Jesus quoted God as saying that, so it can't be kept as just an old testament thing per se. then you have kids being murdered for their parent's crimes, 'how to properly take care of slaves', how to treat women as literal property including forcing them to marry rapists and taking women as war spoils etc. some of it can be said to be just people reacting to the times, but some of it like God commanding death of people is going too far. then you have all the stories that are purported to be true like noah and Jesus even referencing it as true despite being clearly not literal, or certain things that appear in my best judgement as probably a contradiction despite others twisting it future than is probably fair. 

the best anyone can come up with is "who are we to judge God's morality" or "God can do anything" despite the fact that it looks like cop outs. 

so anyways does a catholic need to believe the bible is truly the word of God, more than just being "profitable"

Jesus told a scribe, Go and learn what this means: I would have mercy and not sacrifice. If that is not what we take from scripture, we are reading it wrong. The Gospel is an answer disguised as a question. Who is my neighbor? When did I see thee hungry Lord? Who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind? Has any man condemned you? The answer is always, go, and sin no more.