An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life After People

BarbTherese

What I have been wondering is if man and his constructions were wiped out completely and nature take over, could evolution continue and man once again walk the earth?  Is it scientifically a theoretical possibility?  I can't see why not.

---oOo---

PS - No need to get into spiritual type arguments since the destruction of mankind etc. as well as any evolutionary progress or lack of it would come under the Doctrine of Divine Providence and God's Direct or Permissive Will - and that is implied in all things regardless.

Unfoldings will reveal whether I should have posted this thread into the Debate Forum.

Just watched the end of the documentary in which the possibility of continual evolution may have a result is touched upon; however I do not think that mankind's leap to self reflection and the growth of knowledge could have been an accident in the evolutionary progress -  as the documentary suggests.  Scripture tells us beyond doubt that God created all things (have to get into the spiritual or theological at this point:whistle:).  My personal way of thinking is that at some point in evolution, God intervened on the supernatural level gifting man with a supernatural soul.  Because it was a supernatural event, we have no explanation for it on the natural and scientific level, other than to suggest some sort of evolutionary accident, with which I do not agree.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I've been watching a documentary on ancient Egypt. I think we can see in the Egyptian ruins what life would be after humans, our civilization will be buried, perhaps to be dug up thousands of years from now, with people wondering who we were.

My thoughts are that if all our civilizations are wiped out along with all our constructions, evolution could continue and man could theoretically still walk the earth and eventually discover the remnants of our civilizations. I think it is perhaps theoretically at least possible but over a very much longer period than thousands of years.  Providing, of course, our sun or some other event does not wipe out the earth altogether.

I can see the answer to my question now - must have been drinking too much coffee I think.

Where Egypt is concerned, the Egyptian civilization disappears, but other civilizations are continuing.  Mankind is not totally wiped out from the face of the earth with ancient Egypt.

4 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Where Egypt is concerned, the Egyptian civilization disappears, but other civilizations are continuing.  Mankind is not totally wiped out from the face of the earth with ancient Egypt.

True, but one of the archaeologists in the documentary I mentioned says maybe the reason we know so little about the Egyptians is because we think of them the wrong way. We see the Egyptians as ancient man that leads forward to us. But the Egyptians may have been more scientifically advanced than us. So, she suggests that rather than seeing the Egyptians as our past, maybe the Egyptians were an entirely different line of how human life could develop. In words, maybe time is not linear and man's history is not direct or linear. In the case of your question, I think maybe the ancient ruins represent an extiction of entire races and civilizations. I'm not convinced our Westen history has anything to do with the ancients, in which case, who or what is man? What does it mean for man to go extinct? That assumes we are a classified species in reality and not just in our science.

They are interesting philosophical questions you pose, Era. My own reflections on the documentary which I watched did not go in to the philosophical.  What I wondered was a biological question - i.e.  if mankind did become extinct theoretically could the evolutionary process continue and man once more walk the earth?  If mankind does again walk the earth through evolution post catastrophe, would we necessarily develop to where we are now and as we are now?  I guess this is where your philosophical questions arise.   Who and what is man?  I am certainly no philosopher, but to me, man knows that he is and knows that he also mysteriously transcends what he thinks that he is?  Ouzat! ... go easy on me, Era :beg:

The documentary "Life After People" seemed to infer that mankind once forced into extinction by some sort of catastrophe would be henceforth extinct for all time ever after.  My own conclusion is that that is not necessarily so.  The documentary did depict that life in many forms does survive after mankind does not.

• 2 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The flood. I think god will always leave a remnant to continue on. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye