An Old School Catholic Message Board

2018 - Entrances, Vows, Ordinations

Luigi

Congregation of Alexian Brothers is at Alexian Brothers Vocations.

4 January, 2018

THREE ALEXIAN BROTHERS' NEW POSTULANTS. Please join us in celebrating the three new men who are entering the Alexian Brothers Postulancy Class of 2018. JOE PENSE, ROBERT PODJARSKY, and MARC RIZZO have just recently been approved by the Alexian Brothers Leadership to move forward on their vocation journey with the Alexian Brothers Community. They will be inducted into Postulancy on January 20th during the Feast of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian at the Brothers Formation House in STL, MO. Please pray for God's continued inspiration and guidance upon these men as they strive to grow in their love for Christ and service to others. #BeAnAlexianBrother.#AlexianBrothers #ExtraordinaryMenExtraordinaryLIves

• 2 weeks later...

From Saint Anselm Abbey in New Hampshire. These two men were mentioned in the 2017 Entrances, Vows, & Ordinations thread when they entered as postulants last summer (on different days). They've made the next step and begun the novitiate (on the same day). There's a photo here. Saint Anselm Abbey now has two men in first vows and three novices. 

############################################## 

Brothers Titus Phelan & Dunstan Enzor enter the Novitiate

By Brother Francis McCarty, O.S.B. | January 14, 2018

From left to right: Fr. Bernard Disco, Brother Titus Phelan, Brother Dunstan Enzor, and Abbot Mark Cooper.

On Sunday January 14, Mr. Michael Phelan and Mr. Douglas Enzor were received into the novitiate and clothed in the monastic habit. At this time, both men received religious names from Abbot Mark Cooper, O.S.B.

Michael received the name Brother Titus. His monastic patron is Saint Titus, disciple of Saint Paul. Michael is a native of Swampscott, Massachusetts and graduated from Saint Anselm College in 2012.

Douglas received the name Brother Dunstan. His monastic patron is Saint Dunstan, a Benedictine monk who served as Archbishop of Canterbury in the 10th century. Douglas is a native of Boulder, Colorado.

Father Bernard Disco, O.S.B.’92 will serve as their Novice Master.

Please pray for Brothers Titus and Dunstan as they begin this year of formation. Please continue to pray that our community will continue to be blessed with men seeking God through a monastic observance.

"Newark Abbey - Benedictine Monks

· 2 hrs [1-17-18] · Newark, NJ ·

Exciting news from the Abbey!
Today, on the feast of St. Anthony the Abbot, John Patrick Lodato, who was a Benedicitine Volunteer here, began his period of postulancy for Newark Abbey. This is the first step toward becoming a monk. #prayforvocations, it works!!"

They now have one postulant, one novice, and three men in first vows.

During the lovely week I spent with this community they had a simple profession.

While there I realised that all the other peripheral reasons for joining religious life are going to fall away sooner or later...it must be all Christ :) They invited me to visit again this summer, I think it'll be late August until I can carve out some time again but I said I'd visit. I've already been living their particular spirituality for a long while now - not that I was trying to be a religious before being a religious - but that all the baby steps I've taken in the Catholic faith since my conversion have followed, as it were, their line of thought. It just fits my soul, absolute novice that I am. We'll see what happens!

From St. Andrew Svorad Benedictine Abbey in Cleveland, Ohio: 

Yesterday [1-22-18] at 7:14pm · 

New Year! New Novice! Congratulations to Tom Corrigan who was invested as novice at Vespers today by Abbot Gary Hoover, OSB. He will now be known in the monastic community as Br. Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

At the Dominican monastery of the Infant Jesus in Lufkin, Texas, the first profession of Sr. Therese took place on January 27th. 

image.png.9c2cf4365b6dd5cda9be311d5008c005.png

I got this article from the blog of the Dominican nuns in Lufkin, TX about an upcoming event at St. Walburga's Benedictine monastery in Virginia Dale, Colorado. 

#################################################

We had the joy of visiting with Sister Catherine Marie of the Abbey of St. Walburga, a Benedictine Monastery in Colorado, this past week. Sister is originally from here in Lufkin, and in fact, in the youngest sibling of our Sister Mary Rose.

Sister Catherine Marie is in town for a visit with her parents and family before making her First Profession at her Monastery. We are very happy for her and pray the Lord blesses her with a most fruitful contemplative life for the Glory of the Most Holy Trinity and the salvation of souls.

###################################################

There's a picture here, if you scroll down to January 27th: 

http://lufkintxcontemplativenunsop.blogspot.com 

Another of the Benedictine nuns at St. Walburga has a brother who's a Benedictine monk at St. Bernard Abbey in Mississippi. Apparently vocations run in families - and besides, all them Catholics are related!

Edited by Luigi

On 1/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, Luigi said:

I am quite happy that Alexian brothers vocation is growing in number. God be praised!

Congregation of Alexian Brothers is at Alexian Brothers Vocations.

4 January, 2018

THREE ALEXIAN BROTHERS' NEW POSTULANTS. Please join us in celebrating the three new men who are entering the Alexian Brothers Postulancy Class of 2018. JOE PENSE, ROBERT PODJARSKY, and MARC RIZZO have just recently been approved by the Alexian Brothers Leadership to move forward on their vocation journey with the Alexian Brothers Community. They will be inducted into Postulancy on January 20th during the Feast of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian at the Brothers Formation House in STL, MO. Please pray for God's continued inspiration and guidance upon these men as they strive to grow in their love for Christ and service to others. #BeAnAlexianBrother.#AlexianBrothers #ExtraordinaryMenExtraordinaryLIves

From Subiaco Abbey (Benedictine monks) in Arkansas. 

######################################

Four men were invested as Novices during Vespers on February 1, 2018, by Abbot Leonard Wangler, OSB. The four had been at the Abbey for six months living as Candidates. The Novices will now spend their days devoted to further immersion in the monastic life with a schedule of prayer, classes, and work projects with the monks. For those that persevere, in a year and a day they will have the opportunity to make a simple profession as a monk where they will be given a new name in monastic life. These four Novices are also joined by two new Candidates who will spend six months examining our monastic way of life. A number of Academy students were present at the ceremony.

Edited by Luigi

Sister Leticia

Twelve of our sisters, from 11 countries, have just completed their "probation" - preparation for perpetual vows. Eleven were professed together last Sunday, and the twelfth will be professed in her home country, France, in a few weeks.

Here's a slideshow of their ceremony https://rscjinternational.org/news/slideshow-2018-final-profession

(In case you wonder about the "Intense love..." - each group is given a name and a motto shortly before the end of the programme, which seals their experience and gives them a new call and identity within the Society. Theirs are explained here https://rscjinternational.org/news/intense-love-jesus)