An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spam in the Pham

Luigi

Lovesun222 brings us Vaseline Gauze, Accessory Trays, Aluminum Composite Panels, Insect Killer, Titanium-Clad Copper Plates. It such an interesting array of ...

Deus - Is that you? You're cleaning out the spam before I can make snarky comments about it all! But that proves that you're a hard-working Mediator of Meh.

A Yearning Heart

I have noticed alot lately. Thanks for cleaning it up. 

What happens to them? Banned/deleted permanently? 

12 hours ago, A Yearning Heart said:

I have noticed alot lately. Thanks for cleaning it up. 

What happens to them? Banned/deleted permanently? 

Any username associated with spam gets banned permanently. The problem comes when spammers post in Catholicism Q&A, because you don't need to sign in to post there. Unfortunately the phorum doesn't seem to have a tool to allow us to ban by IP address (or if there is, it's well-hidden - I've spent ages poking round the moderator control panel in frustration as I tried to figure out a way to do it).

This spam was in Open Mic. It was harmless enough - just somebody trying to sell lots of weird stuff - mass quantities of specialized technical stuff from China. But there was a LOT of it. Two Thumbs Up to the Mediators of Meh!

I've cleaned a ton of spam out of Q&A lately, and now the prayer forum - one spammer dumped ten threads in there. I think we either need a way to ban by IP, or to make it obligatory to register to post in any forum. I don't know why it seems to happen in waves like this.

A Yearning Heart

Thanks Beatitude for all that cleaning up.  Is it possible to moderate the first 1 or 2 posts? Might save a heap of deleting later.

Yes, CatherineM, the spam I saw was completely useless. Even if I were a builder or random-material-buyer, I would source materials from my local store/area.