Sign in to follow this  
Kayte Postle

Kayte Discerns (An Ongoing Journey)

Kayte Postle

Hello Phatmass pham! It's been awhile since I've posted,  but I've still been lurking. I've grown so much in the past year. I've moved to a new town, started a new job, found a new parish, and even found a spiritual director! There's been lots of healing and the Lord has worked just amazing yet simple things in my life. I'm plucking along in discernment and have deep draw and interest in one community, who I get to visit in just two short weeks! I'm very excited and a wee bit nervous, but I know the Lord will be right there alongside me the whole way.

One thing I am thinking of is starting a video series about religious life, the discernment process in general, and my own discernment.  I do video journals pretty regularly (though not as much as of late) and was wondering if sharing some of my journey would be helpful for others. What type of information would you hypothetically be interested in seeing or think would be helpful?

I'm hoping to update this thread as things progress, but I ask that you all keep me in your prayers! Please pray especially for the weather in the next two weeks. I'll be driving to Michigan for the Come and See, and I'm particularly worried about the weather. Thanks pham, know that you all are in my prayers!

beatitude

Prayers for your Come and See. :) How exciting.

Regarding the vlog, to be honest I'd be more likely to view a video journal from someone who is further on in the discernment process and who has taken some practical steps, such as a postulant or a novice. A one-off video from someone in the initial stages of their search could be helpful too, but a regular series is a bit much. I say this because no matter how good her intentions, a woman who is only considering entrance will not have knowledge of the spirituality and ministry as it's really lived, and my questions would mostly concern those things. Secondly over the years I've seen so many blogs and vlogs from women who have been 'in discernment' for literally years. They talk about this retreat and that Come and See, and how to know whether you're a Carmelite or a Franciscan (again, a topic that would be better addressed by an experienced priest or sister who is living the life), and then the blog ends without them even getting close to entering a community. Personally I find it more helpful to listen to professed sisters or sisters in formation reflecting on their journeys so far.

Kayte Postle

@beatitude Thank you very much for the wise advice! You are very right that that kind of info is better coming from religious themselves, they are the ones who have lived it. I honestly didn’t think the idea had much traction, but wanted to run it past others. Again thank you very much!