An Old School Catholic Message Board

Laid Off Work

OnlySunshine

Yesterday, I got some horrible news.  I was called into my supervisor's office and the HR director was there as well.  It was explained to me that they are doing restructuring and modifying certain jobs as well as eliminating jobs and, unfortunately, my job was eliminated.  My responsibilities are going to be absorbed by another staffing coordinator in a different department.  It came as a huge shock - I've been there 2 years and it was my first job after I graduated with my Bachelor degree.  I will admit that I was getting a bit burnt out because the job is very stressful - especially when you have multiple callouts and are having difficulty finding replacements.  I was, however, planning to stay until I found another job because I have bills to pay and need health insurance (thankfully, they extended my insurance thru February and then I can use COBRA).

Anyway, I was given 2 weeks' pay in lieu of notice and told that I could apply for unemployment, which they would approve.  I am already job hunting now but I don't think the shock of the event has fully sunk in and I fear my depression might return so I made an appointment with my psychiatrist on Monday morning.  Please say some prayers that I find a job soon.  :(