An Old School Catholic Message Board

liberal catholic: not go to church or not partake of eucharist

linate

is it better for a liberal catholic who does not believe in papal infallibility to:  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think if the person continues to discern there life and where there at with god and go to confession at least once a year they should continue to go to mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation, surely god can defend his church and the spirit will drive them out through others or some other way, and on the receiving of the host I think if there not just ignorant and actually spreading heresy the lord will still come to them in the host but if spreading heresy even if they partake they do not receive, it becomes like feeding a dead person bread I was told. The persons disposition must be to please god, to love god, isn't this grace, relationship with god? If they are then aren't they in a state of grace, no ones perfect? Idk the official church teaching on the matter as to whether one is in a state of grace or not I just know you must be catholic and in a state of grace to receive Jesus, he doesn't come if you aren't.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I have to agree with warbler there's no left or right, there are no less or more rules, just the rules, the question is what are the rules, and how do we discern the exact meaning of the rules.

how is it a mortal sin to attend mass on Sunday if he doesn't believe in papal infallibility.  the sin is not believing in catholic teaching, not in attending mass.  why anyone would advocate someone not come to mass is asinine. 

What about a conservative Catholic who denies the Church's teachings on the rights of workers? 

That being said, what about a Catholic prior to the 1871 when the definition was issued?  What about Catholics in the Middle Ages when 90% of Catholics (illiterate peasants) where not even aware there was papacy let alone an infallible one? 

It is a silly question.  We have the Creed at Mass.  That is the basic theological statement. 

i thought tab's point about someone not being a good catholic but still being in a state of grace, was a good point. ive seen monsignor's canon lawyers and such who are no liberal basically say something similar, arguing it's not helpful to deny the sacrament that is intended to help, to someone who could use it. i'm sure their opinon would change on the wildly bad catholics or those who in no way resemble a good catholic or even christian.

i think the canon lawyer in particular that i'm thinking of would say his advice is only applicable to a discerning catholic, or someone open to the way it's done within the catholic church.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
17 hours ago, linate said:

i think the canon lawyer in particular that i'm thinking of would say his advice is only applicable to a discerning catholic, or someone open to the way it's done within the catholic church.

Yes saint Paul says we must discern before eating and drinking. I assume he is talking about the body and blood and as to what are we discerning is that which is right, true and just for the salvation of our soul. Examination of conscience.  And as to what is evil that we may confess our sins and change but trusting in gods mercy without assuming it, to be humble and open to gods will on matters of evil but to not get the scruples over it and after owning the sin and confessing it but not lessening the gravity of sin letting go of it and focusing on that which is good, virtue. We combat sin with virtue though at times in season we may be helpless sinners in need of gods mercy. We can examine our conscience any where anytime at length or briefly, and if sin is discovered we admit it to god say we are sorry and get to confession to receive absolution, but be careful to not get trapped in only thinking of sin for st Paul states it is the things of above that we look for, I guess focus on.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

If one is discerning of there own life for there personal salvation, confessing what they can see is displeasing to god with there behaviours and receiving absolution I can't see why there not in a state of grace whether or not one is mistakenly in opposition to particular matters unless part of the priesthood. I assume ignorance not malice though I'm sure there are some wolves in sheeps clothing.