An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convents who accept young women on psych meds??

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

I’m a very stable and joyful young woman who is searching for the right convent for me.  I heard something about the Queenship of Mary convent in Ottawa Canada? Does anyone on here know about this or any other convent??

in prayer

28yrolddiscerner

For questions such as these you really do need to ask them yourself, I'm afraid. :) Best wishes.

Edited by chrysostom

I have bipolar disorder and no convents would accept me unless I stopped taking them. So I stopped taking them and went on a downward spiral. Good luck on your journey, but in my experience if you have mental health issues they will not let you enter. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yeah I wish I could become a brother, on psyche meds too but usually only on the lowest dose unless using rec drugs and or to much alcohol which I only do because I don't have any family  that I can trust fully anymorw for various reasons and no friends that really want to be close to me or that have two jobs and or young kids which takes up most of there time. I'm going to take Jesus off the cross and nail Satan to it this lent though with gods grace, ie. Destroy the bondage Satan has put on me on again off again with drugs and alcohol the last 9yrs, and blow friends and family who needs em Jesus, Mother Mary and the angels and Saints are my friends and family so like whatever. I'm tired of nailing Jesus back up on the cross after he releases me from this bondage, though I will with his grace persist, Satan's already got two black eyes the last 9 rounds this ones gonna be an uppercut and hopefully a k.o, I really need a few years to recover I've ended up homeless. But anyhow yeah maybe the orders will give meds to brothers or sisters that weren't already unwell but won't let anyone in who is already on meds.

I do think though if a person can get off the meds for a couple of years and prove that they remain stable I can't see why there wouldn't be an abbey or sisterhood somewhere that won't take the risk, at least for formation or some kind of trial run. If it be gods will no one can stop it if you persist and keep knocking in faith, hope and love, and of course all good holy things and virtue. Though we may fail in the end those failures will teach us to succeed.

I hope wish and pray for you recovery from your illness and a normal life, wherever that may be with whatever the lord has in mind for you.

GodblesS

On ‎6‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, zabbazooey said:

I have bipolar disorder and no convents would accept me unless I stopped taking them. So I stopped taking them and went on a downward spiral. Good luck on your journey, but in my experience if you have mental health issues they will not let you enter. 

I had a similar experience and also suffer bipolar disorder.  Leadership felt that if I had a religious vocation, bipolar disorder would not be a problem.  Quite early in the piece, I recognised that such an attitude was either incorrect or spot on.  What I knew was that if I stayed any longer trying to soldier out a seemingly likely episode, it would bring disturbance to my community and also that they probably would not recognise the early warning signs as I did, nor know what to do if I actually had an episode and perhaps a serious one.

I left and at first was confused and crushed until it dawned on me that The Lord was simply saying "Not here", and that He was not rejecting me.  It simply meant that my own plans and hopes, wishes and dreams, were crushed and not for the first time.  I was able to embrace His Advice (never ever His Rejection) with loving acceptance..........took a few more years before I realised that The Lord was saying "Here is where I want and need you" and I found my place and vocation in the scheme of things, but it was a journey not an overnight event.