An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sem Life

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

There are a few seminarians on the phorum and I thought I might be phun to share some insights into what life in the seminary can be like at times. For sure we are able to live a privileged life of prayer and leisure (all intellectual pursuits are technically leisure), but I'm found over the last five years that seminaries can be mysterious places for those who have never graced these blessed halls.

Each seminary is a little different, but in my house we gather each wen morning at 6:00 to do group lectio devina on the Sunday's gospel coming up and then have an opportunity to share some of the graces and insights we've had on the Scriptures. It can be a neat time to listen to how God has revealed different things to guys through the same scripture.

I just met a seminarian the other day, he seems very joyful. We both shared our vocation stories. Insta-friendship!

Depending on societal trends several western countries may be more hostile places for priests than before over the next few decades. One thing I hope and pray for is an increase in the spiritual motherhood for priests promoted by the Vatican most recently since 2007 that all women, lay, married, religious, can participate in.

Once you graduate from your life of "leisure" the Cross will be upon you before you know it! What a privilege :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Cross what cross? He's not heavy he is my brother. :) the yoke becomes easy and the burden illumination. I rekon illumination is when suffering becomes a great joy and you kind of can't feel emotional pain any more, you learn not to hate others and try to manipulate them to your design, we learn to suffer foolishness gracefully and let go let god, including our own misgivings. Gods rod becomes our comforter and not only his staff. But I'm not in seminary, just a wild guess.

Not just mistakes and misgivings but even the simple character quirks, one learns to be merciful like the father and be salt over the shoulder that's yesterday and take most of it with a bit of light humor. I could be wrong.

I used to go to school with our seminarians. Mostly geeks. In the old college that was connected to the seminary (before the province put a highway right through it), they could come to class in their house shoes. Now they have to cross a parking lot. 

Smart kids, alive with the spirit. Made me very optimistic for the future of the church hanging out with them. 

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

We live, work, sleep, and all in one building here at my school. We wear clericals pretty much all of the time, especially in the public non-residence areas of the building. So except for Sundays when I'm at my parish assignment it's possible for me not to even go outside for a week at a time. It actually takes special effort to make sure I don't stay indoors all the time.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

There are a good many Bishops who take great care in developing relationships with their seminarians and priests. I personally have such a Bishop in Archbishop Naumann. Several times throughout the year he spends a good bit of time with us seminarians so that he can know those who he may be called to ordain, but that we also can know our shepherd. I'm fortunate enough that today I'll get to spend about 1/2 an hour of one on one time with my Bishop, and we all are going out to dinner tonight to have a good fraternal meal. The timing is great because this Wen. I will receive Admission to Candidacy for Holy Orders.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Terrific padre pio. May the love of god be your guide in anytimes of darkness and release you from the bonds to the things of this world. Amen :topsy::):P

I used to spend a large amount of time with the novitiates of an order called 'the missionaries of gods love' they're giving birth to like 2 or 3 priests a year, lol, alleluia. Oh the pangs of child birth as I'm sure there will be but the result is new life. How beautiful.