An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness, Politics, and Guns

little2add

29 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

ignificant cause (even in this last major school shooting) but rather being isolated, young, and male had much more significance

FFB9_DA2_A-4_DA2-440_B-9191-07_F946_B007

I hope that there will be enough outcry to keep this in the political arena long enough to have some reasonable thought put into it.  

The school attacks are not caused by guns, but guns are used because they’re convenient.  With over 300 million legal guns in the US, you aren’t going to legislate away the existence of guns. 

We can make school attacks with guns a little less convenient.  But we also need to study why they occur.   The phenomenon of attacks are not previously unknown.  Research the etymology of amok.  

This is also a sociological and psychological issue for the root cause.  The Colombine School murders were intended to mirror the Oklahoma City bombing.  Guns were secondary.  Our society needs to address WHY to avoid the next HOW becoming a truck driven through a school assembly. 

It should be noted that all survived the mass stabbing.  Likely a gun may have caused deaths, though many had life threatening injuries and not all gun victims die  

Also note that he planned it for months. 

My concern is that we only cause a change in weapons (as if we could confiscate 300,000,000 guns).  

What warning signs were missed?   How should  or can legal, medical, education institutions react? How can we address root issues before it comes to a mass attack?

I believe most mental health evaluations - even the short ones - ask people whether they have or had thoughts of harming themselves or harming other people, to which I imagine a positive response is a red flag. But 1) it's conceivably easy to lie to a yes or no question, 2) most people don't even get to an evaluation.

I don't know really. It's easy to point to a rot in society. Okay, but there have always been rots in society. How is this different? I don't know how to identify how to change premeditated decisions for violence.

There are a few "reactive" aspects that might be helpful which have been pointed out in the wake of this shooting, like refraining from plastering perpetrators' faces on the night news, FBI negligence, etc. I don't have anything original to add.

GreenScapularedHuman
9 hours ago, chrysostom said:

I believe most mental health evaluations - even the short ones - ask people whether they have or had thoughts of harming themselves or harming other people, to which I imagine a positive response is a red flag. But 1) it's conceivably easy to lie to a yes or no question, 2) most people don't even get to an evaluation.

Mental health professionals are concerned chiefly by 'active' suicidal and/or harmful ideation to self/others... meaning with some intention to follow-through. There are plenty of individuals who very regretfully suffer passive ideation and despite having such thoughts are no significant risk to themselves or others. Like those who suffer from psychosis, trauma, or obsessive compulsive matters, sometimes called 'intrusive thoughts'...

But yes those who have become a bit accustomed to the whole mental health evaluation and don't want to be confined tend to say they are not having such ideation (even if they are) to avoid misunderstanding... or perhaps to hide malicious intentions.

GreenScapularedHuman
On 3/2/2018 at 1:30 AM, Norseman82 said:

My favorite quote from one of my least favorite Star Trek movies (begins at 2:05): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAq9GaV2GoY

"Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" is considered by fans to in the forefront of Star Trek movies that rebukes Star Trek's utopian future. The Enterprise is the only ship in range, despite being woefully ready to handle anything besides not falling utterly apart... the planet is a failed political dream between three hostile powers that obviously the Federation, Romulans, and Klingons have basically abandoned... and from what it seems basically the worst of the worst (maybe even like a penal colony?) came to Nimbus III.

What sort of weapons they were fashioning is not exactly clear...

But most of the rest of Star Trek is predicated on the idea that technology, medicine, and a generous social system has virtually eliminated crime. (At very least on Earth... likely most full Federation worlds). So the whole existence of Nimbus III is almost analogous to America's relationship with Liberia which is a very poor, war-torn, and corrupt little nation despite American promises to protect them (moreover those former slaves who went there from America).

Again... the strongest rebuke of Star Trek of the Star Trek movies...

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 27/02/2018 at 4:42 AM, Anomaly said:

I hope that there will be enough outcry to keep this in the political arena long enough to have some reasonable thought put into it.  

The school attacks are not caused by guns, but guns are used because they’re convenient.  With over 300 million legal guns in the US, you aren’t going to legislate away the existence of guns. 

We can make school attacks with guns a little less convenient.  But we also need to study why they occur.   The phenomenon of attacks are not previously unknown.  Research the etymology of amok.  

This is also a sociological and psychological issue for the root cause.  The Colombine School murders were intended to mirror the Oklahoma City bombing.  Guns were secondary.  Our society needs to address WHY to avoid the next HOW becoming a truck driven through a school assembly. 

The why is anger. Most say you poor thing you have the right to be angry. Anger is not right as it leads to murder, war, violence and arguments. Anger is never right.

Anger is not always wrong. It's a natural human emotion and sometimes it's necessary. I was well and truly angry when I heard how someone treated someone close to me and I wish I could have been there. What I do with that anger is one thing, but feeling it was no more wrong than feeling sad or happy.

GreenScapularedHuman
12 minutes ago, chrysostom said:

Anger is not always wrong. It's a natural human emotion and sometimes it's necessary. I was well and truly angry when I heard how someone treated someone close to me and I wish I could have been there. What I do with that anger is one thing, but feeling it was no more wrong than feeling sad or happy.

I think there are sufficient places in the Bible and Catechism of the Catholic Church that very strongly discourage and even call anger sinful that it is likely to be considered not so compatible with Christianity/Catholicism. But you are right it is a valid and sometimes healthy/useful human emotion apart of being a human.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
There are a great many kinds of sins. Scripture provides several lists of them. The Letter to the Galatians contrasts the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit: "Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God."

2262 In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord recalls the commandment, "You shall not kill," and adds to it the proscription of anger, hatred, and vengeance. Going further, Christ asks his disciples to turn the other cheek, to love their enemies. He did not defend himself and told Peter to leave his sword in its sheath.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Only human huh? This may be true but its becoming an excuse to sin and not fight it, even priests are saying 'where only human' no your not your meant to be holy priests of the most high god and even the layity, we are meant to be set apart for the lords pleasure not our own.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, little2add said:

Should the perpetrators of hate crimes, drug use (illegal or prescribed) be made known to the public?  Currently privacy laws do not allow personal health information to be made public.

getting back to question...

if the use of Antidepressants medications or  bipolar disorder disorder be "public record" to police and/or authorities performing "firearms permit" background checks ?