An Old School Catholic Message Board

Important Decisions

OnlySunshine

I'm at a point where I need to make important decisions about my life and future - especially regarding my career.  Before I was laid off, I had planned to get a Master degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and was in the application process.  However, after further discussion and thought processing, I really want to do something that I had planned when I was much younger - working with animals.  I've thought off and on about being a veterinarian ever since I was 7 years old and I've loved animals ever since I was a baby.  While I'm not sure veterinary medicine is exactly what I'm looking for, I think studying animal behavior and doing field research would be really exciting.  I've often thought it would be incredibly rewarding to work at a zoo with exotic animals - especially large mammals like giraffes and elephants.  You get to observe them and take care of them.  I've also thought about going to Africa to study them in their natural habitat to make life in captivity more natural and comfortable for the animals.  I just never considered animal behavior as an actual major but I did some research and there is a program in my home state where I could study psychology with an emphasis on animal behavior for a Bachelor degree (with a minor in biological science) and then I would consider getting a Masters and/or PhD in something like ecology or zoology.

I seriously started researching my options since I would have to move where the college is since it's a long way from home but there is campus housing and I would be able to apply for work at the zoo nearby or other animal care centers.  I'm trying to make sure this is something that would be a lucrative option and I could potentially continue to veterinary medicine if I decided I truly wanted to do this since the major has a strong emphasis in science.

Please say some prayers.  I am still unemployed at the moment, so this might be the best opportunity I have to make this decision and I wouldn't have to worry about quitting employment to pursue the degree.  :)