An Old School Catholic Message Board

shaving

ToJesusMyHeart

ewww. i guess if i were a chick i wouldn't do it all the time either. my dirty little secret? then again it's not like there's anything to be ashamed of if you can buck the social taboos. 

ToJesusMyHeart

nope, nothing to be ashamed of. hair is natural. removing it is unnatural and the social stigma should be abolished. 

I've decided to try and grow out a full beard on my face, monk-style. It's going to take a while, I haven't shaved it in three weeks or so and you can still see a bit of skin on my chin and above my lip. The connection from moustache to beard is still barely there. That one might take a few months.

SaintOfVirtue

7 hours ago, ToJesusMyHeart said:

nope, nothing to be ashamed of. hair is natural. removing it is unnatural and the social stigma should be abolished. 

Haircuts are unnatural too, let's abolish that social stigma as well. 

(Disclaimer: playing devils advocate here. I'm indifferent to whether or not an individual shaves their appendages.)

ToJesusMyHeart

haircuts don't carry a social stigma, lmao what are u going on about

hairy legs and armpits on a woman however, now THAT has a social taboo. 

SaintOfVirtue

Not in France or parts of Eastern Europe. Further, dreadlocks carry a social stigma as do certain styles generally accepted for one sex but not the other (ex. shaved head)

ToJesusMyHeart

"france and parts of E Europe" exclude the vast majority of the world.

people should be shamed if they are prejudiced against people with dreads or shaved heads, just as they should be shamed for being prejudiced against women with hairy legs and armpits. 

the point is, people should not be stigmatized for how they choose to deal with the hair that their body naturally comes with. people who do stigmatize that are at fault and should stop being arse portals. 

devil's advocate is a bad look for you.

SaintOfVirtue

"People should be shamed if [...]"

Ah, so you're not actually against social stigmas. You're just advocating for a different set of social stigmas.

You can do what you like with your leg and armpit hair, but hairy legs and armpits look disgusting to me. 

Armpit hair tends to hold bad odors. Why run the risk of smelling bad? 

Just because something is "natural", that doesn't mean it is good or pleasant to look at.  Have you ever seen a man with hair growing out of his nose? Nasty. I guess leaving the hair to grow is more "natural", but I doubt many people would find that appealing. 

What happened to good grooming standards? Immodest, ripped, wrinkled clothing has become the norm. A person wearing pajamas in public would have once been "stigmatized", but is now accepted. Vulgar, offensive tee shirts are worn in public with no shame. Dirty,  greasy hair on  many. Hideous tattoos and piercings defacing bodies. 

As a person of "a certain age", it saddens me to see so many people, both young and old, take no pride in their appearance. Yes, the slovenly have always been with us, but they were far fewer in number. Now, they have become the norm.  We have become a nation of slobs. 

ToJesusMyHeart

hairy legs and armpits are not gross. you are shaming people by saying that. 

deodorant controls armpit odor, lol? that is not an issue. 

nobody should be pressuring anyone else to do anything with their body hair. if someone doesn't want to shave, leave them alone. if someone wants to, fine. but the issue here is that people DO GET SHAMED for not shaving their own bodies, and that is really beaver dam stupid. 

Your opinion is that hairy legs and armpits are not gross. You are entitled to your opinion. 

I find hairy legs and armpits on women disgusting. I am entitled to my opinion.

I am not in control of how other people feel. I can't control the fact that someone may feel shamed by my expressing my opinion. Eleanor Roosevelt famously said, " No one can make you feel inferior without your consent".  I believe no one can make you feel shamed without your consent. When someone has made a negative comment about my appearance/habits, with which I disagreed,  I simply disregarded them. 

As for leaving people who don't want to shave alone, I do. I have never gone up to someone and told them they must shave, I've never forced anyone to shave, I have never forcibly shaved anyone!  Why in the world would you think I wouldn't leave someone alone?  People have the right not to shave.   I simply expressed my opinion in this forum regarding hairy legs and armpits. 

I knew a couple of women who when the hairy route for awhile. They said that they had a problem with underarm odor while hairy, even though they used deodorant. 

Finally, calling any human being an "arse portal" (or the more commonly used term) is something of which you should be ashamed. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Rude and insensitive world. :cry4: mercy my lord,my god,my saviour,my king.

I'm way to obsessed about looks instead of virtue, makes me Ill nowadays, looks can become an idol. Of course you still keep yourself and house clean, festy ain't good. Some things are just neutral, if you want to spruce up your under arm hair dye it baby blue, haha. I'm fine with hairy women though I have to learn not to cringe, I care more about healing women coz supposedly a generalised world wide stat is 3/5 of women by a certain age has been raped, molested or severely bashed, this iz putrid and men need to learn how to be like Jesus not viking bafoons.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I don't really cringe I shouldn't have said that its just counter popular culture and takes getting used to just like when you have a new born and it takes time to get used to. Surely if we truly love others we love there life more then there look. Tattoos everywhere aside coz that can be vain as all croutons and self mutilation. Dress to the 9s or Caz, whatever is comfortable and helps you love god and others.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

13 hours ago, ToJesusMyHeart said:

hairy legs and armpits are not gross. you are shaming people by saying that. 

deodorant controls armpit odor, lol? that is not an issue. 

nobody should be pressuring anyone else to do anything with their body hair. if someone doesn't want to shave, leave them alone. if someone wants to, fine. but the issue here is that people DO GET SHAMED for not shaving their own bodies, and that is really beaver dam stupid. 

Hippies took this exact stance in the 60's, too.  There's a very good reason why respectable people used the term "hippie" with negative connotations.  Unfortunately, respectable people are falling in numbers, drastically.

Societal norms for how one presents oneself are a good thing.  They help one to grow up to be a respectable person.  Sure, those norms are different around the world, but just having them is a positive influence on those entering adulthood.  It's interesting (and sad) that so many young people reject things like this, but it's definitely showing in the world today, especially in the lack of real men.