An Old School Catholic Message Board

shaving

ToJesusMyHeart

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I hear what your saying fides but not everyone can always afford new clothing, or even razors, even in the west, either because they are actually poor and don't thieve or they choose to give more and keep less. Of course having a Sunday best dress for the lords day and things like weddings is not a bad idea but it can border line vanity and cause people to judge on a look instead of virtue and just becomes a worldly dress code that detracts from the truth of what it means to be a christian. Though an ordered life in dress code is great for religious orders and keeps away jealousy I'm unsure that when it comes to whether or not the layity subscribe to the same fashion sense that it has a whole lot to add to or detract from the goal of salvation if the heart is focused on Christ, but holy scripture does state to go with the general consensus of the community on such fickle matters to avoid disturbance, depends on the parishes general dress code and I'm guessing one will find for the most armpits and legs aren't exposed at holy mass, though a priest said to me to dress practically in that if its extremely hot, well.

Let the river run. Faith, hope and charity, for these 3 will remain.

But I think saint Paul states again that the minority should submit to the majority on such matters, we must be charitable and humbly submit to the general body to avoid disputes and the ruin of souls.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

But the general consensus on such matters I think is changing over time.

The parishes in my city are quite easy going except everyone dresses up at the Latin rite? Better start buying the poor some fancy clothes I guess or is catholicism only for the well to do? That's a big question in my mind because I don't think its meant to be, its meant to be a community of the same faith in love looking after its weak first and foremost. :amen::cry4: my lord, my god.

Surely surfing in Bali sipping cocktails can wait till heaven there are souls to save and the weak and poor to build up.

ToJesusMyHeart
7 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Hippies took this exact stance in the 60's, too.  There's a very good reason why respectable people used the term "hippie" with negative connotations.  Unfortunately, respectable people are falling in numbers, drastically.

Societal norms for how one presents oneself are a good thing.  They help one to grow up to be a respectable person.  Sure, those norms are different around the world, but just having them is a positive influence on those entering adulthood.  It's interesting (and sad) that so many young people reject things like this, but it's definitely showing in the world today, especially in the lack of real men.

when you demand that men also shave their legs and armpits in order to be "a respectable person," then you can talk to me about why women need to shave their legs and pits. don't be a sexist. 

women don't need to shave in order to be "respectable." that is absurd. 

Just now, ToJesusMyHeart said:

when you demand that men also shave their legs and armpits in order to be "a respectable person," then you can talk to me about why women need to shave their legs and pits. don't be a sexist. 

women don't need to shave in order to be "respectable." that is absurd. 

Men and women are not the same.  Your argument is asinine and juvenile.  It's also taking my statement out of context (which, if you'll allow me to actually be sexist, rather than what I was doing before, which was not actually an example of sexism, is typical of most women).  I did not say that you have to shave your legs to be respectable.  I implied that respectable people will look negatively on those who make these kinds of arguments, simply because they're not the kinds of arguments that responsible and mature adults would make.

I guess you could say that my argument is 'ageist', but you couldn't really call it 'sexist'.

ToJesusMyHeart

as long as you don't judge women who don't shave their legs until you start judging men for the same, i don't care. 

the hair of men and the hair of women belongs to them and them alone. they should be able to do what they want with their hair without social stigma or the judgements of sexists on the internet. 

sexism is when you expect and allow different things of different sexes. expecting women to shave while not expecting men to shave is sexist. 

shaving doesn't make women "responsible" or "mature." it makes them subjects of the patriarchy--that  is, men like you who are telling them what to do with their own bodies. 

SaintOfVirtue

I view women as the finer sex ergo I expect them to actually be finer. That involves doing womanly things like shaving and being pretty. I don't think women should look like men. 

Stating that women who shave make themselves subjects of the patriarchy is absurd. Are you saying that if a woman doesn't shave, she is not a subject of this "patriarchy" you are blathering about? 

Men are not telling you what to do - a couple of men and I have expressed our opinions in this forum on women not shaving. Neither they, nor I, a woman, are forcing you to do anything to your body you don't want to do. 

I'm going to be blunt and say that you are going to have a very difficult time in life if you get so upset and angry (evidenced by calling people arse portals - and we all know the term you really want to use, but can't on this site) at people with whom you disagree. You are the one who brought up the subject of shaving. You are the one who, by bringing it up, invited others express their thoughts on the subject. Now you are whining because a few people had points of view different from yours. If you can't tolerate a difference of opinion, why did you bring the subject up? 

as long as you don't judge women who don't shave their legs until you start judging men for the same, i don't care. 

the hair of men and the hair of women belongs to them and them alone. they should be able to do what they want with their hair without social stigma or the judgements of sexists on the internet. 

sexism is when you expect and allow different things of different sexes. expecting women to shave while not expecting men to shave is sexist. 

shaving doesn't make women "responsible" or "mature." it makes them subjects of the patriarchy--that  is, men like you who are telling them what to do with their own bodies. 

You still did not understand my post, in the slightest.

I didn't say shaving makes anybody responsible or mature.  Nor did I say that women should shave or not shave.  Nor did I say that men should shave or not shave.  I'm not telling them what to do.  I have never judged a woman for not shaving (not that I've seen it much...).

My argument is about the nature of your argument.  I'm telling you it doesn't make sense to tell men to stop calling out women for not shaving.  That's very different than telling women to stop shaving.

So, if you think men and women are naturally different, you're a sexist?  That's news to me.  I expect women to be women, and men to be men.  I guess that means I'm sexist.  Or, rather, maybe it just means that you're entire viewpoint on the matter is foolish.

There is one thing that I'm not sexist about in the slightest - I hold all people, of all (both) genders, to the same grammatical standards.  If you can't use proper capitalization, I can't really take anything you say seriously.  No respectable person would.

I want to add, also, about the patriarchy bit: clearly you've never been married.  

Edited by fides' Jack
The system cut out the quote for some reason...

On 2/19/2018 at 8:48 PM, ToJesusMyHeart said:

That's cool as long as we can still have our personal preferences. My girlfriend prefers that I shave my face because she does not find beards attractive. I  prefer that she shaves her legs because I don't find hairy legs attractive.

sexism is when you expect and allow different things of different sexes.

I expect women to carry children for 9 months and to give birth to them. I don't expect this of men.

Does that make me sexist?

I don't know about all of that. If I were to grow my hair down to my waist and roll outside a whole lot of women are going to judge me in a negative way. That doesn't  make me the subject of matriarchy. It just means that men and women have different physical makeups and are generally attracted to different things.

That being said, do what you want to do. If shaving is not your thing that is perfectly cool by me.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

We are different, everyone is an individual. We can love equally but we are different. And its not a bad thing, variety is the spice of life. Stuff the free mason grey code that everyone should be the same, slaves to the dollar. Work, spend, sleep, sex, and don't make a sound because the lost will never be found.

The catholic church believes in love not sin, sin is selfish and love is virtue/self giving, this is what it all boils down to, do you believe in love or not. A man loves woman because her differences complete what a man doesn't have, it is the difference that completes, a way to learn what you don't know, a relationship of growing/changing and becoming the perfect person. Many don't believe in perfection.

Where only human right? Slackers, though Christ won't strike you down, repent and believe in the good news, Jesus can make you perfect in love, and if you fail, REPENT!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

dominicansoul

Ur making a mountain out of a molehill. 

if women don’t want to shave who cares?  If women want to shave, who cares?  

Seriously im asking.....who really truly cares??  Lol

Some people care. A lot of today's beauty standards are kind of ridiculous and, at the end of the day, a way for corporations to make a dollar.

I noticed the idea of body odor popping up. But the idea that people smell bad was initially propagated by companies that offered a remedy. The term halitosis was invented by some mouthwash company or something.

Of course we become conditioned to these certain standards, myself included.

But yeah I don't really care that much. I don't shave except sporadically. Some people might judge. Oh well. Can't please everyone.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:37 AM, fides' Jack said:

Or, rather, maybe it just means that you're entire viewpoint on the matter is foolish.

I hold all people, of all (both) genders, to the same grammatical standards.

*your

:P

Edited by chrysostom

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

To shave or not shave that is the question. I have a gotay and i like it but unsure having one or not having one has any real blessings or consequences except that of my ego or others if we want to be so precious about it, it neither increases my virtue or decreases, but it has caused me to sin actuals, after I shaved it I was getting cranky that it wasn't growing fast enough because I wanted to put beads in it again, but in general its a neutral neither here nore there unless I get all vain about it like I did. One can be vain about having hair or not having hair I guess, looks are looks and one likes one look and another another look, why are looks so important I guess is the question and what exactly is vainty, to look down upon another because of there appearance perhaps, thinking one has superior looks or fashion sense to another, better cologne, better car, better pet dog, the list goes on. Pride. :(