An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men

fides' Jack

Real men are a dying species.  The age when boys would become men used to be 15-20.  These days it's ~35, if at all.  And it's showing in the world, today.  I believe it's the biggest problem in the world.  Men have been attacked for decades.  The term most frequently used in the main stream media to define masculinity is "toxic" - how crazy is that?!  God created men and women differently for a reason.  The rates of children without fathers have skyrocketed, and that fact only perpetuates the problem.  Modern Catholic women complain that there are no good, Catholic men out there, and they're absolutely right!

With most of what's wrong in the world today, men are the problem, and so men are also the solution.

I've found a few sites recently that I've grown to love, and wanted to share.  I highly recommend listening to the videos in the first couple links; they're absolutely fantastic (even if they're long).  They can, and will, change your life.  Please, if anyone has anything else related they'd like to share, I would love to see other sites dedicated to building up better men.

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7V1W967ofA

2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlF32wv2rc

3: https://www.artofmanliness.com/ - amesome website full of motivational articles, useful and practical tips, morally positive advice, and general information that can increase your knowledge and make you a better man, and will definitely make you more attractive to women (at least the virtuous kind)

4: http://www.mancrates.com/ - for gift giving; a way to celebrate men.  I have not gotten a gift from here, but I would absolutely love to.  There's something here for almost any man.

Yep - I have been going there for a while, but I recently signed up for the newsletter, not realizing that if you do you get a few free PDF ebooks, one of which is a great 30-day self-betterment book that I'm doing this lent.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yeah Australia or my archdiocese at least has woken to this realisation also. Men have never been or forgotten how to be men, or are scared to be manly in case there mistaken for shovinists, women love real men I bet, its only natural. I'm far from being a real man in the marriage and raising children sense I wouldnt have the foggiest how to do that, I'm a 2bit hustler for souls and not concerned with marriage, though friends sounds nice. No wonder marriage is under attack if men don't know how to be men, leaves the women to have to try and wear the shoes in the relationship.

Real men don't run through three wives and then have an affair with a Playboy model, cheating on the adult film star they were dating.  They don't call other people by belittling nicknames they give them (particularly in a public forum). They don't lie and misrepresent.  They don't talk about grabbing women by their private places. Sadly, our children see wrong example. 

I completely agree!  Trump is not a good role model.  But he is an example of the effect of the problem - not so much the cause.  By that I mean simply that he's only been a possible role model for a couple years.  Sure, he was a public figure for decades, but he had absolutely no effect on the upbringing of any single person I've ever met...

So... not sure what that has to do with this discussion.

My husband loves the Art of Manliness. He’s enough of a real man to not be bothered that I wield the tools in the family. I love the feeling of his beard. 

I'm glad to hear that people already know about it - it really is a good, solid, moral website, and a great resource.

In terms of theology and psychology, manliness - and womanliness, for that matter - are really about maturity. And maturity is really about virtue. "Virtue" is derived from the Latin word "vir" which means "strong." And here we're talking about personality strengths.

Real men (and real women) have faith and hope, know how to love, display fortitude, are just, temperate, and charitable. They have also developed the gifts of the Holy Spirit - knowledge, understanding, wisdom, good counsel, perseverance, and fortitude - and the fruits of the Holy Spirit - joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Exact terms may vary.)

A particular culture may define manliness (or womanliness) by physical characteristics such as beards or long hair, muscularity or slim waists, or by division-of-labor-activities - who "wields the tools" versus who knits, who hunts versus who cares for the children.

But the theological/psychological/personality/maturity traits remain the same for both women and men, across all cultures, across all time.

But I agree that there is currently a shortage of "real men" and perhaps of "real women" in this culture, currently. The probable cause is that adult males and females have been formed more by American pop culture & mass media than they have been by Church teaching.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Amen, virtue is what defines maturity and a real man or woman should be mature

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye