An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sin

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Is sin good or bad? Are you allowed to sin or not? Are you on the side of good or bad?

Good is good, bad is bad, yes? Do you understand?  There's no middle ground. The Luke warm will be spat out says holy scripture.

Which side are you on. Though we may fall who are you for?

GreenScapularedHuman

I won't and can't answer for Catholics... but...

Is sin good or bad?

It seems to me that I've read that original sin was called a 'happy fault' since it brought about a better covenant and arrangement with god, chiefly and foremostly in Jesus. Also that sin/evil is used for good, either illustratively or otherwise. The goodness and badness of it I would thusly say is relative which doesn't seem too far from the Catholic Church's assessment that sin is relative.

Are you allowed to sin or not?

Yes. You are. At least in the most practical and literal sense. But from a Catholic view point the word allow might be an area of dispute, since god 'tolerates' sin but doesn't 'approve' of it, in fact god seems not so very happy with sin.

Are you on the side of good or bad?

Life is very rarely (if ever) that simplistic. I would also say the challenge of the gospel really puts everyone in need of reconciliation with god.

Good is good, bad is bad, yes?

Specious. I respectfully disagree.

Do you understand?

No...

There's no middle ground.

Says who? Before you answer...  I respectfully disagree.

The Luke warm will be spat out says holy scripture.

Because that is from the Book Revelation, the most perplexing and unclear book of the Bible I would argue, I won't even touch this.

Which side are you on. Though we may fall who are you for?

The first is a rhetorical question (though not so punctuated). As a pluralist I think it isn't a simple one side or another side matter.

As a devotee to the Green Scapular... I put my faith and hand in our Lady's asking that she take care of me. So in a religious sense I would defer to our Lady. Which seems to be the principled sense of the question you asked.

i would give the last post some partial props for some wise input, but criticize for not being hard enough on sin and evil. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I haven't found yet the catholic church teaching that we are allowed to sin but she offers a way out of the temporal punishment due to that sin if we do, confession and absolution.

Sorry about this post though unsure what exactly was my point to starting this debate, I read my o.p and It sounds nasty.

But I do think there are 3 sides not 2 actualy, the righteous, the wicked and the undecided. But what entails righteousness I guess I was trying to get at, and what entails wickedness?Is it as simple as sin is wicked and virtue is righteous?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Unsure it needs to be so complicated for the laymen, and in these extremely complex times perhaps the most simple approach is the best way to combat the complexity of the evil so manifest in this present world,

St Therese of the child Jesus pray for us.

The righteous seek virtue and to not sin and the wicked seek to sin and even will call virtue weak. An example is someone saying "stuff patience, make the calls put your fist down on the table and get what you want faster."