An Old School Catholic Message Board

Applying for School

OnlySunshine

I can barely contain my excitement!  After a very serious talk with my mom about my future career goals, I realized that I was not achieving my lifelong dream of working in veterinary medicine.  I have had a serious desire to work with animals since I was in elementary school.  I researched various opportunities and originally thought about majoring in animal behavior and/or psychology but it would require me to move away to attend school on-campus, which isn't a big deal, but I would be spending more money on a degree that really can't get me anywhere because psychology is a liberal arts major and requires graduate education to get anywhere financially.  I realized that animal behavior was not going to fulfill my desire of working hands-on with animals because you mostly observe them - not handle them.

Anyway, after thinking long and hard about what I should do, I researched my options and found out that there is an AVMA-approved school that offers an Associate in Science and Bachelor of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology where the courses are 100% online and there are periods of practicum experience that I can complete in my hometown!  The great thing is that I can complete the degree while working at the same time.  The program is very comprehensive and the courses are incredibly interesting.  I think this is the most excited I've felt in a long time which says a lot about my decision and I'm proud of myself for committing to achieving this goal.  I cannot wait to get started.  I applied to the school and am in the process of completing the admission requirement checklist.  Part of it requires a minimum of 40 hours observing a veterinarian and vet tech performing various procedures and also ask questions regarding regular working hours, wages, and opportunities.  I have a veterinary clinic in mind - the one we have used for our last two dogs.  The veterinarian is incredibly compassionate and very smart and I think I would learn so much from her.

Please say some prayers that I am able to do the observation period with the veterinarian and I am admitted to the program.  Thank you!  :)

Edited by OnlySunshine