Sign in to follow this  
ToJesusMyHeart

amazing essay

fides' Jack

This was an interesting read, and a couple sentences really got to the heart of some deep issues.  Though I think the idea that we are all growing more and more isolated, and more and more without the support structures that we used to have, is another symptom of an even deeper problem, rather than the cause itself. 

It definitely brought up some good points.  I would add that even for straight unmarried people who want to live chastely, it's getting harder and harder to stay celibate.

ToJesusMyHeart

"The weakening of social connections took place at the same exact time that people became 'sexually liberated.' The result was the perfect storm. As communal ties slowly decayed, people increasingly stockpiled their relational needs into 'the one.' A significant other who gets to play jack-of-all-trades in the person’s relational life.

Everybody everywhere is now searching for love and no longer finding it apart from romance. Popular articles have headlines like, “Finding Real Love” or “12 Basic Rules to Find Love.” Click on the links, and you’ll discover they’re not really about “love” at all, unless you narrow down the concept of love until it’s unrecognizable. They’re about finding a romantic partner. That’s what “finding love” has come to mean nowadays. Fewer and fewer people have people anymore. Instead, they’ve got significant others whose relational obligations are becoming ever more exhaustive as community continues to wane.

The reality is that erotic love, classically considered to be the lowest and basest of the loves, is slowly becoming the only kind of love that we think about.

ToJesusMyHeart

In God’s reality — which is the actual reality — celibacy is more than just feasible. It’s actually preferable. But biblical celibacy depends upon biblical community. This means that before discussions of celibacy will ever become fruitful on a larger scale, Christians need to be willing to address our social condition. At the end of the day, we can’t expect celibacy to be attractive to a gay believer if it’s not even remotely attractive to a straight believer. If you yourself don’t want the product you’re selling, then why are you selling it?

Stop idolizing marriage and the nuclear family and instead start actively defending what the Bible teaches: that the body of Christ is just as important as (if not more important than) marriage and biological connections (1 Cor. 7). Start seeing friendship as a profound embodiment of Christ’s love toward us, equal in profundity to the embodiment of his love through marriage (John 13:34; 15:12-15). Teach Christians to redefine their notion of “family,” no longer as a biological reality but as a spiritual one (Matt. 12:46-50). Get comfortable with displaying affection (Acts 20:37).

Norseman82
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, ToJesusMyHeart said:

Stop idolizing marriage and the nuclear family

I was with her until she made this statement.  CCC 1603 states that the vocation to marriage is written into our very nature, and the well-being of society is bound up with the healthy state of conjugal and family life.  Whereas I sympathize with her struggle to live a virtuous life, she must realize that her impedimented situation is an outlier, and she should not use her impediment as an excuse to "rain on the parade" of those who do not have impediments by engaging in manipulative shaming of people seeking a healthy marriage and family by comparing that which God has established as holy to "idolatry". 

ToJesusMyHeart

Homosexuality is hardly an "outlier" in today's reality. 

She did not say that marriage is bad. She simply asserts what the Church has always taught, which is that celibacy is superior to having sex, and people should stop putting marriage on a pedestal. It's the natural path of humans. Celibacy is the supernatural path. 

Norseman82
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, ToJesusMyHeart said:

Homosexuality is hardly an "outlier" in today's reality. 

Except that "today's reality" is out of sync of where God wants it to be.  Plus, statistically, they are still a minority; it's just that today they are making up a significant part of the "noise" in society due to those pushing the "agenda".   

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, ToJesusMyHeart said:

She did not say that marriage is bad. She simply asserts what the Church has always taught, which is that celibacy is superior to having sex, and people should stop putting marriage on a pedestal. It's the natural path of humans. Celibacy is the supernatural path. 

I do not disagree that the Church has stated that the celibate vocations are a "higher calling", but it is also true that not everyone can handle the "higher calling", which is why the celibate vocations need to be discerned and require supernatural graces.  Even Jesus Christ Himself testified to this when He gave His speech about the "eunuchs for the kingdom".  What I object to here is the use of the inflammatory language of "idolizing marriage", which implies an accusation of "idolatry" (which is often a theme on Catholic message boards that needs to be silenced (Titus 1:11)).  Nobody should be shamed into celibacy by such inflammatory language.

ToJesusMyHeart

Norse,

Perhaps you are lucky to not know anyone who idolizes marriage, but sadly they do exist and they do indeed worship marriage as an idol in  place of God. My roommate is one of them, as well as at least a dozen of my college peers. Count yourself as lucky for not encountering them. 

Norseman82
1 hour ago, ToJesusMyHeart said:

Norse,

Perhaps you are lucky to not know anyone who idolizes marriage, but sadly they do exist and they do indeed worship marriage as an idol in  place of God. My roommate is one of them, as well as at least a dozen of my college peers. Count yourself as lucky for not encountering them. 

And how do you know it's "idolatry" and not simply that they've discerned that they cannot handle lifelong celibacy, so they see singleness as an occasion of sin, and thus are in fact seeking a valid Catholic marriage out of obedience to God's word?

ToJesusMyHeart

because of their actions and words towards marriage. i'm not going to detail out the life and sins of my roommate on the internet to convince you of her idolatry. it's not my problem if you don't believe me. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The Benedictines state that we can not experience the fullness of the spirit without community, you can not stop sinning without the fullness of the holy spirit I believe scripture says it is not by power or might but the spirit of the lord, sex is a mighty act, perhaps the mightyesr, extremely powerful and dangerous and can destroy relationship with god or at least impair it and slow down spiritual growth to perfection. When we are weak he is strong. Hopefully you all understand. The rise of the sexual revolution coincides with the rise of the technological entertainment, sex has become a form of entertainment not love, a stress relief at the least. The four horsemen DAGS drugs, alcohol, greed, sex, turning to these instead of god.

One perhaps can defeat sin without community and gods grace overtime but it is a slower process and saint Paul urges us to run the race for victory and not be slackers. The early Christians helped each other.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

As far as I can remember the bible says words to this effect that the spirit can not be where sin is. I'm guessing the fullness of truth. Grace is something different im thinking. 

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I mean the spirit isn't present in the fullness of truth when sin goes unchecked. Scripture also states we need to bridle our passions, sounds like controlling yourself when it comes to these 4. It may not be drugs, alcohol, sex and greed perhaps it could be any four sins that are predominant in a culture, nation, community or individual, perhaps, and we will have up to 4 attack us in our lives which need to be kept in control. Its just a train of thought I've had before, originally the thought came to me of DAMS drugs, alcohol, money, sex, and they can become a dam wall blocking the river of love in the heart, these need to be under control and not let loose to run riot.

Ice_nine

This is everything I've been trying to say and digest for about 8 years. It would have been nice when I was a lonely, skittish, unsur-of-everything 20year old to have some more articles like this.