An Old School Catholic Message Board

Major Change

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

Thank you for all the prayers offered.  I know I haven't been very active lately, but with good reason.  My last post mentioned me enrolling in a veterinary technology program but there has been a change.  After some soul searching and talking with a counselor and my family, I feel that becoming a vet tech is not feasible due to my health issues - spinal osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, and an autoimmune connective tissue disease.  I was once a CNA and found the job too strenuous which made me quit nursing altogether.  I forgot that vet techs are essentially CNAs or nurses for animals and would require heavy lifting (which I cannot do safely) and interactions with animals who are in pain and may bite or scratch.

I found some of my old topics here and realized that, several years ago before I started my Bachelor degree that I have now, I was interested in biology or zoology so I could research animal behaviors.  I think zoology is a much more suitable course and would allow me to follow my favorite species without worrying about physical limitations.  It is not settling, by any means, because I know that zoology would give me so much knowledge about the animal kingdom.  I have found a well-known public research school in my home state that awards both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Zoology (MS and PhD).  Their scholarship offerings are amazing and I would even have the chance to study abroad. 

I plan to apply for the program but I'm not sure if I should wait until the fall and take a summer course of some sort of science or math at the junior college or apply for the university straight away.  Please say some prayers that everything falls into place.  Having this clarity made me very excited to see what the future holds.  :)

Edited by OnlySunshine