An Old School Catholic Message Board

So what do I do now?

nunnabe

Hello! This is my first topic ever and I just have a few questions I'd appreciate the wisdom of others on :)

I've been discerning religious life (being a sister) for some time now and I'm finally scheduled to meet with a sister from the community I really love on Tuesday to ask questions and learn more. Buuuut I'm kinda impatient or at least want some second opinions on some questions I have. Also if there's anything else I should ask, I'd appreciate advice. 

So... 

What "affairs" does someone need to deal with in order to enter the convent (medical, financial, educational)? How many convents should I visit, or should I visit other convents even if I have my heart set on this one? When do I start telling other people about exploring religious life, especially outside of my immediate family? Is there a chance of me being sent to another country, should I join the community? What kinds of things can I do now to prepare me for religious life?

Thanks for helping out and any other advice or guidance is appreciated. 

PS- I'm looking into the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration in Mishawaka, IN.

TheresaThoma

I'll try to answer some of your questions in the order you asked them.

As far as affairs that depends on the community and what they require.

I would suggest visiting even one or two others. Early on in my discernment I thought I had found the right community but I hadn't seriously visited other ones. What I experienced there was more of a general attraction to religious life and not specifically to that community. I'm very seriously discerning with a different community now. I have been blessed over the past 7 months or so to have been able to spend time with other communities of different spiritualities. Even though I am pretty certain of my call (I'm at the point of discussing the possibility of entrance)this has helped me better understand my own call. I feel I have a deeper understanding now of why I feel called to this particular spirituality and community. It has also given me more certainty and peace because I know I have at least given some thought to other communities and spiritualities.

When to tell people, this can be difficult. It varies based on the context and your relationship to that person. Early on like It sounds like you are right now I would really only tell those closest to you whom you trust with spiritual matters. Some people who are very well meaning may overwhelm you with suggestions about what communities you should look into etc. That can be very confusing if you are just starting out contacting and visiting communities.

As far as being sent out of the country that is really something you have to decide. Pray about it And ask the specific community about how they handle sending Sisters to other countries. You may find in prayer that God is giving you the grace to do that. 

Things to do right now that are helpful with discernment. Pray! Try to pray daily. If you don't already pray the Liturgy of the Hours try it out. The iBreviary app is really good for beginners. It guides you through the prayers which helps you get used to the general structure. Also as one of my friends once said God deals in the real. To really discern you need to talk to Sisters and visit communities. Reading about communities is good but you Also have to take some action as well.

My final piece of advice is to take it one step at a time. Focus on the step God is asking of you now. If you try to "jump ahead" and are worried about what will happen if I enter this community what will my life look like in 10 years etc it is overwhelming. I had to learn not to go into that mode myself. It brought me much more peace when I focused on one step at a time. Saying yes to God in writing to the community. Then saying yes to making a visit. And then at the end of that visit saying yes to God to make a longer visit. And so on. I still get a bit overwhelmed if I try to look too far forward. Like right now I am staying focused on my next visit and taking that visit one day at a time. That doesn't mean that I don't day dream a bit about entering and making vows and such :) but I don't try to figure out all the steps right now.

I hope this helps you and I will be praying for you!

10 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

I hope this helps you and I will be praying for you!

Thank you so much :) You helped a bunch.