An Old School Catholic Message Board

98 y.o. nun goes to the sweet 16

little2add

She's headed to the Elite 8 now!  If Loyola Chicago canbeat Kansas State, who was also a surprise to get this far. They're headed to the final 4

Villanova  beloved Father Rob, long-tenured team chaplain, too, but he wants no part of a rivalry with Loyola-Chicago’s Sister Jean.

“I very much look forward to meeting Sister Jean,” said the Rev. Rob Hagan, the priest on the Villanova bench. “I was 12 years of Catholic School and taught by the nuns. I have great respect for the Nuns. Usually what Sister says is what goes.”

Father Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Watch Sister Jean throw a ceremonial first pitch at the Cubs' home opener

By the AP

APR 11, 2018 | 8:10 AM

The popular 98-year-old chaplain of the Loyola-Chicago basketball team that reached the Final Four switched sports Tuesday, throwing out a first ball before the Cubs' home opener.

Sister Jean Dolores Schmidt drew a big cheer at Wrigley Field when she made an underhand toss from her wheelchair. She laughed as the ball bounced toward home plate.

The nun wore a Cubs jacket and had a No. 18 Cubs jersey with "Sister Jean" written on it. She also talked with manager Joe Maddon before the Cubs' 8-5 loss to Pittsburgh.

Loyola coach Porter Moser and some of his players were recognized on the field before the game. Senior guard Ben Richardson also threw out a ceremonial first pitch.

Moser and a couple of the Ramblers led the crowd in the singing of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" during the seventh-inning stretch.