An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Real Reason Toys R Us Is Closing

little2add

GreenScapularedHuman
13 minutes ago, little2add said:

Look who’s calling the kettle black

You were rude first accusing me of supporting abortion, now of contraception, calling me 'sweetheart', 'try to keep up', ... I called it immature pouting. So if you take me calling your immaturity as being rude... then so be it. But candidly between the two of us in regards to the virtue of charity I am doing the far better job.

i heard they went out cause they took on too much debt. i dont know how the business side of things in sales went, though

9 hours ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

Contraception 'prevents' particular individual new life by definition or at least the conception of life during intercourse. Something that does not yet exist cannot be ended.

contraception | ˌkäntrəˈsepSH(ə)n | noun

the deliberate use of artificial methods or other techniques to prevent pregnancy as a consequence of sexual intercourse. The major forms of artificial contraception are barrier methods, of which the most common is the condom; the contraceptive pill, which contains synthetic sex hormones that prevent ovulation in the female; intrauterine devices, such as the coil, which prevent the fertilized ovum from implanting in the uterus; and male or female sterilization. 

what part of the textbook definition of contraception am I or you not comprehending?   Doesn't "contraception"  in effect, mean to terminate pregnancy?

11 minutes ago, linate said:

i heard they went out cause they took on too much debt. i dont know how the business side of things in sales went, though

While bankruptcy is the official reason, it isn’t the only or perhaps even the biggest reason why Geoffrey the Giraffe is being sent to the big zoo in the sky: Debt. Competition from online retailers like Amazon, as well as cheaper big-box stores like Wal-Mart and Target. Yes, bad customer service, too. All of these are the most commonly cited reasons for the ultimate failure of Toys R Us. But, hidden within their press release on the bankruptcy is a reason rooted in cultural trends, the stuff that ultimately makes or breaks economic indicators:

The decrease of birthrates in countries where we operate could negatively affect our business. Most of our end-customers are newborns and children and, as a result, our revenue are dependent on the birthrates in countries where we operate. In recent years, many countries’ birthrates have dropped or stagnated as their population ages, and education and income levels increase. A continued and significant decline in the number of newborns and children in these countries could have a material adverse effect on our operating results.

Edited by little2add

I also have a degree in science in addition to three other degrees. I had a college roommate on the pill who experienced what you say isn’t possible. It almost caused her suicide. 

GreenScapularedHuman
2 hours ago, little2add said:

contraception | ˌkäntrəˈsepSH(ə)n | noun

the deliberate use of artificial methods or other techniques to prevent pregnancy as a consequence of sexual intercourse. The major forms of artificial contraception are barrier methods, of which the most common is the condom; the contraceptive pill, which contains synthetic sex hormones that prevent ovulation in the female; intrauterine devices, such as the coil, which prevent the fertilized ovum from implanting in the uterus; and male or female sterilization. 

what part of the textbook definition of contraception am I or you not comprehending?   Doesn't "contraception"  in effect, mean to terminate pregnancy?

It says in your definition, very first sentence, 'to prevent pregnancy'.

2 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

I also have a degree in science in addition to three other degrees. I had a college roommate on the pill who experienced what you say isn’t possible. It almost caused her suicide. 

I was under the impression you held some sort of degree in theology, if you are wanting to call that a science, I respectfully and strongly disagree... but if its something else please do enlighten me. But please explain why there is virtually no study that confirms this wild speculation that contraception causes abortion? Because the studies that have been done, and there have been more than a few, show the opposite.  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/02/22/172595689/morning-after-pills-dont-cause-abortion-studies-say

3 hours ago, little2add said:

While bankruptcy is the official reason, it isn’t the only or perhaps even the biggest reason why Geoffrey the Giraffe is being sent to the big zoo in the sky: Debt. Competition from online retailers like Amazon, as well as cheaper big-box stores like Wal-Mart and Target. Yes, bad customer service, too. All of these are the most commonly cited reasons for the ultimate failure of Toys R Us. But, hidden within their press release on the bankruptcy is a reason rooted in cultural trends, the stuff that ultimately makes or breaks economic indicators:

The decrease of birthrates in countries where we operate could negatively affect our business. Most of our end-customers are newborns and children and, as a result, our revenue are dependent on the birthrates in countries where we operate. In recent years, many countries’ birthrates have dropped or stagnated as their population ages, and education and income levels increase. A continued and significant decline in the number of newborns and children in these countries could have a material adverse effect on our operating results.

I can see why you don't want to source your article... its from a rather far right and sketchy organization. I found this exact text you provided, which you didn't even put in quotations to indicate that it is from an article, at these two locations word for word: https://pjmedia.com/parenting/real-reason-toys-r-us-closing-no-one-wants-talk-birthrates/ and https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-real-reason-toys-r-us-is-closing-that-no-one-wants-to-talk-about-birthr Which looking up both they have a score of 'mixed' factuality which indicates this isn't so much a journalistic website of repute. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/pj-media/ and https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/canada-free-press/

23 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

why there is virtually no study that confirms this wild speculation that contraception causes abortion? Because the studies that have been done, and there have been more than a few, show the opposite. 

Poopoo

27 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

journalistic website of repute.

Yes,  that maybe true , so is “NRP.ORG”

Sorry I meant “NPR.ORG” NPR is pure propaganda

GreenScapularedHuman
15 minutes ago, little2add said:

Yes,  that maybe true , so is “NRP.ORG”

Sorry I meant “NPR.ORG” NPR is pure propaganda

NPR has a borderline center-left lean and has a high factuality rating. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/npr/ Which isn't too far from the BBC's rating, though the BBC has the highst factuality rating of 'very high'.  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bbc/ So NO, NPR is NOT propaganda (or even pure propaganda) and yes NPR is a reputable journalistic source. Also I would note that it doesn't have one of these gems hiding in its closet (yes, the source you used posted this article): https://www.snopes.com/news/2015/11/23/obama-dropped-leaflets-warning-isis-airstrikes/

Edited by GreenScapularedHuman

My first degree is a bachelor of science in agriculture. My major was forest genetics. I intended to pursue a masters in forest genetics but at the time, women weren’t given those spots in forestry. That’s why I went to law school instead. After my JD I received a BA in pastoral ministry and a Masters in Theology. 

I’ve had my fair share of science classes. I’m also not a party line spouting, not listening to reality kind of pro-lifer. I’ve put my money where my mouth is. I adopt damaged and broken kids no one want. I work with the severely mentally ill homeless. I’ve defended people on death row, all in keeping with the ideal of conception to natural death. 

I have never taken the pill. I’ve never needed to. I’ve never used any kind of contraception. The pill can cause the death of a living child with a soul. That’s all I need to know. 

GreenScapularedHuman
43 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

The pill can cause the death of a living child with a soul. That’s all I need to know. 

I find it very odd that you say you have a background in science but yet you are so easy to say you know something you cannot demonstrate and in face of evidence to the contrary.

I mean unless it really is just because the the chance is more than 0.00%, even if it be less than 0.01%, and I assume you are aware (if you have that background) chance doesn't mean actuality so... just because its virtually impossible because its not absolutely impossible... you say it can.

I find that very extraordinarily unscientific...

1 hour ago, CatherineM said:

keeping with the ideal of conception to natural death

"I find that very extraordinarily scientific" and insightful.  

GreenScapularedHuman
8 minutes ago, little2add said:

"I find that very extraordinarily scientific" and insightful.  

Yeah. Science is ALL about the evidence and demonstrability. To sit back and so easily make claims without evidence and in spite of contrary evidence is very extraordinarily unscientific.

Suppose your doctor saw you... said "I believe you have cancer" And yo ask why? And the doctor said "I just believe its so." Which you then go out, get an MRI done, and come back with the results to show your doctor... saying "I've had a full MRI done and there is no sign of cancer." To which your doctor says 'well... I don't believe that. I mean the MRI could of missed something and there are so many benign kinds of growths in everyone. You have cancer. I know you have cancer."

You would walk away from this encounter thinking you had a good doctor? Or thinking correctly that this doctor was a quack? Or would you very disturbingly think 'well doc lets get this unnecessary surgery to remove cancer we both know I don't really have because you can't accept reality?'

And while that might seem a little bit far fetched... there are practical realities to contraception. Contraception lowers the rates of unplanned pregnancies (which is good for children and decreases rates of abortion). Even if you consider contraception morally wrong (unlike an overwhelming majority of Catholics) in view of the very traditional and very conservative doctrines of the Catholic Church surely you agree with the Catholic Church's position that contraception is less morally evil than abortion?

So this argument that contraception is abortion based on nothing and counter to the scientific/medical community could lead to less contraception usage, thus more unplanned pregnancies, and thus more abortions. There is a very real world consequence of this unscientific thinking that results in a greater moral evil.

29 minutes ago, GreenScapularedHuman said:

t contraception is abortion based on nothing and counter to the scientific/medical

My findings are based on scientific evidence and data,  prenatal research,  clinical observations  from the moment of birth to pre-adolescence 

My training is not out of the book or college classroom, it’s from being a grandfather and father  

Whether or not you choose to  acknowledge my insight of this matter and Expertise is relevant ...

I would love to chat some more but I have to attend a birthday party for my three-year-old grandson  In a couple of hours , and have to get ready 

Edited by little2add