An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father Augustus Toton

Anomaly

First ex slave to be ordained a priest.   Just confirmed a family story with my 88 year old mom.  My great-great-grandfather was Stephen Elliott, who was his “owner” in Hannibal, Missouri.   The Elliott’s slaves were Catholic and were taught to read and write(both illegal in the 1800’s Missouri).    My great-great-grandmother, Sal Elliott was his godparent. 

According to our family story, after the war started and Emancipation, slaves were allowed to stay as “paid employees “ at the Elliott farm.  However, since they all knew how to read and write, and were Catholic, and there was fear of uprisings in Missouri (still a space state), many Of the Elliott “ex”slaves were beaten, jailed, and had to escape, they could not stay in Hannibal, Mo.  

Some of the story must be spun to make the Elliott’s not seem so bad, but intriguing.   Not sure about when they were “free” or know how they really were treated.  But they were Catholic and even my Grandmother was educated even though she was farm raised in Hannibal.  

Edited by Anomaly

I love genealogy. My grandmother was born in Hannibal. From what I know of that side’s history, it seems to be consistent. Her grandfather served in both the confederacy and then in the union army. It was a confusing, scary place. 

Very interesting…  I've been wanting to read  that biography of Father Tolton… I believe that there is a one-man play by St. Luke Productions about him…

5 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I love genealogy. My grandmother was born in Hannibal. From what I know of that side’s history, it seems to be consistent. Her grandfather served in both the confederacy and then in the union army. It was a confusing, scary place. 

Wow.  My grandmother from Hannibal, married a man who’s Irish, and his grandfather fought on both the Confederate and Union side.   Another interesting story because he was an Irish immigrant that couldn’t get decent work and joined the army hoping to get citizenship.    The Irish were so hated and badly treated, only the Confederate would let him join at first.