An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers for telling family about entering!

Totus Tuus Maria

Totus Tuus Maria

Dear phatmass family please pray for me as I will be telling my father and sister this week about entering the convent next fall.(!)

I recently went on a discernment retreat (my second with this order) and I am sure this is where God is calling me to and I feel it is the right time to tell them. My father and my sister are the last to really know because they have been taking it the hardest so far.

So please pray for them as I continue to discern God’s will. Especially for my father who does not have a faith life and truly does not understand.

Edited by Totus Tuus Maria

Sister Leticia

Of course! But can I ask - have you spoken with the order and they seem happy for you to apply to enter in the autumn? I ask because I know someone who had this difficult conversation with her family before speaking to the order she hoped to join. When she did, they asked her to wait a year or so more than she'd anticipated before entering. If she had known that in advance, she'd have done things differently.

Totus Tuus Maria

Hi Sr! Yes I have been in touch with them (the vocation director) for awhile and I will have a two week stay in the early summer and based on how that goes I may wait or decide to enter. They have already offered for me to apply and said it was ok if I felt like I needed to wait as well. 

Sister Leticia
6 hours ago, Totus Tuus Maria said:

Hi Sr! Yes I have been in touch with them (the vocation director) for awhile and I will have a two week stay in the early summer and based on how that goes I may wait or decide to enter. They have already offered for me to apply and said it was ok if I felt like I needed to wait as well. 

That's good. It's just that you hadn't said this in your opening post, hence my concern. But if you're going to have a two week stay in a couple of months' time, then yes, you do need to start preparing your family for that, as well as the possibility of you entering sometime after.

• 2 weeks later...
Totus Tuus Maria

Well, 

My Dad did not take it very well as was expected. He asked me to get outside help, wait until I'm 60 (I'm 28) or switch religions and a number of other comments :|. My sister was surprisingly better about it (*thank you Jesus*) but still hurt . Please continue to pray for them during this time and for my discernment, thank you all. 

It's hard, really hard, even when it is expected.  But remember, these sufferings can be offered up for his benefit;  don't waste the opportunity!  I will be sure to pray for their understanding.

Prayers for you. I broke my news to my sister recently...she's the only one who knows that I'm set on it. She took it okay. I need to get a little further along in the discernment process before I talk to my parents though - I'm similarly in my adult years and independent but they'll be sad.

Edited by chrysostom

TheresaThoma

Something that helped my family a bit was being able to meet the Sisters. My family was very much against my vocation. My mom has gone from open hostile opposition to resigned acceptance (MAJOR change). I think what helped her in part was being able to meet a few of the Sisters. I did a live in this past summer and at the end I got permission for my mom, sister, and nephew) to come up earlier in the afternoon on the day they picked me up. They were there for midday prayers and had lunch and I was able show them around a bit. I think this helped my mom because in meeting the Sisters they became just "normal people" not this scary group of strangers. My mom did find it funny how many of the Sisters wanted to see my nephew (who was 1 at the time). That helped break the ice a bit. I know it is still difficult for her but the visit helped. So maybe at the end of your two week visit your dad and/or sister could come and meet the Sisters.

Another thing that really helped was me sharing about the parts of the life they could understand (my family is not Catholic or even really religious). I got a phone call home once a month during the 3 months I was there. I focused on sharing the funny and beautiful parts; the normal day in and day out stuff. Overall I think hearing and seeing me "in context" helped them so much because they could tell I am happy there.

28yrolddiscerner

Praying for you this evening!  You must follow where Jesus leads you. Maybe they don’t understand now but someday they will.  I’m curious what branch you are joining (Carmelite, franciscan, etc)?

Peace of Christ 

• 2 weeks later...
Totus Tuus Maria

Thank you again all for your prayers and suggestions :) Dad is still very upset, as I'm sure he will be for awhile but I'm hopeful he will come around. I like the idea of him visiting and seeing the sisters. I think my sister will like that idea too. 

The order I am discerning with is an international apostolic order that doesn't fall into one of the traditional branches. 

Praying for you all