An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did/does God suffer?

Seven77

I know that God the Son suffered in and through the Human Nature that he assumed… So Can Be Said God Suffered? I Thought I Knew The Answer To This But Now I'm Not Sure Because I Saw Some Catholic Comments Suggesting That God Cannot Suffer… But We Know That Jesus Suffered And Jesus Is God. Just As He Had a Mother And His Mother's The Mother of God. Help Please?

Also,Is It Right to Say That The Father Suffered In a Sense To See Jesus on the Cross? In the Sense That A Father Suffers to See His Child Hurt? In the Passion of the Christ, We See A Teardrop Fall To the Ground. The Father Sacrificed His Son As Foreshadowed by Abraham and Isaac. Sacrifice "Hurts." Love "Hurts."

Somebody Help Me out and Clarify My Thought… Please.

I'm no expert. I'm not even a theologian. But my sense is that God does not suffer. However, you've hit upon a topic that has occupied theologians for a very long time.

Here's an article - quite long and pretty technical. But if you're intrigued by the idea, you probably want the full background. And I was able to understand most of it, so you probably will, too.  The author, a Franciscan, agrees with me (although this article was published in 2001, so maybe I agree with him).

The upshot is: The early theologians and Church Fathers have always said that God does not suffer. Starting in the Nineteenth century, non-Catholic theologians began saying that God does suffer, and that seems to be the consensus these days. They are wrong, and here is why - A, B, C, etc.

https://www.firstthings.com/article/2001/11/does-god-suffer