An Old School Catholic Message Board

Didn't hear the words of absolution on confession

Guest Arnok

Guest Arnok

I went to confession two days ago and I didn’t hear the absolution prayer audibly but I am sure after the priest gave me a wonderful advise which I listened to very carefully, the priest did say some sort of prayer and I am sure right after that I did the sign of the cross. I didn’t hear or probably he didn’t give me penance so I asked for it. “Father, what’s my penance?”, he told me to be humble and seek help from Our Mother (that’s what I only heard). The fact that I did ask for my penance and never for my absolution, I assume that he really absolved me. And another fact is that, he never told me to go back to him again on another day or week and examine myself to absolve me.

This is driving me crazy, but I will go to my confessor and seek help from him too.

tinytherese

Your sins are absolved.

This is what I found in the book, "Understanding Scrupulosity: Questions, Helps, and Encouragement" by Thomas M. Santa C.Ss.R.:

"3. If I don't hear the words 'I absolve you' loud and clear, I worry, are my sins really forgiven, even then?...For validity, the words 'I absolve you' do not have to be spoken in an audible voice. Whether you hear them or not is not essential." (52, 53)

Also, earlier in the book:

"Question: What should I do if he tries to make a good confession, says his penance, and then on arriving home cannot remember receiving absolution? This has happened to me more than once. Do other people have this problem?

Answer: For the consolation of this questioner, yes, they do. Our memory can easily play tricks on us, especially if we are preoccupied about something. In this case you can and should proceed on a presumption: What ordinarily happens this time also. The priest regularly gives absolution when he hears your confession, and therefore, even though you don't actually remember it, you can take for granted that he gave absolution to you this time also.

Father L. Miller, C.Ss.R." (40-41)

Edited by tinytherese
Forgot Something