An Old School Catholic Message Board

Faith formation at parish: ideas and suggestions?

Seven77

Earlier today I met with a like-minded friend who is a catechist and with the DRE at my parish about what we can do to make Christ known and loved more through faith formation;  the parish is very big on social justice but lacking in solid catechetical teaching.

Some of our ideas include a parish-wide subscription to Formed.org, a treasury of Catholic resources  (videos, talks, audio and e-books) from the Augustine Institute, Lighthouse media, and Ignatius Press that people can access from their homes or that we can present at the parish; Catechism 101 columns in the bulletin, citing the Catechism, Vatican documents, USCCB, quotes from Saints, and other sources that are reliable and that nobody would have a problem with; a retreat for the parish with solid speaker; formation using Intentional Discipleship by Sherry Wedell… Especially for the priests and parish council members…

We are trying to ignite the fire in parishioners first with the idea that the priests will go with what the parishioners are desiring.

There is a meeting tonight about how to make the parish a better place with no real emphasis on anything in particular… The catechist friend and I will be there to share our vision, we're going to need major prayers if we are to present our ideas in a winsome way…

Any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed?

Adult education. Catholicism 101 offered in a way that is accessible to even non-Catholics. Make it a have to be there atmosphere in the parish.