An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is working here a sin?

Guest Karen

Guest Karen

I work for an insulation manufacturing company that sells to mainly food companies in order for them to deliver the food fresh. But the company also sells to pharmacies, hospitals and manufactures for them to deliver anything perishable. And works with amazon to which has programs to donate to planned parenthood. As for the pharmacies and hospitals, it's the same thing but I have no idea if they use the insulation we do to deliver anything sinful, like for abortion procedures. But even if they didn't deliver anything with our insulation, just the fact that they buy from us when they do abortions in their facilities or prescribe birth control is troubling me because we are working for them. Is it remote material cooperation and is it ok for me to work there or do I need another job and does the principal of double effect apply here or is too far removed to be sinful? 

I doubt it is possible for most of us to work somewhere that doesn’t touch a questionable industry. The culture of death is very pervasive. As long as you don’t work directly for one of those organizations, it should be fine. 

• 1 month later...

I don't see how you are facilitating evil by working there… It's like working in a glove factory with the possibility that the gloves could be used by abortionists. You're not responsible for how they may possibly be used, especially because you really don't know that they will be used for evil--- they could be used for great good.

• 4 months later...