An Old School Catholic Message Board

Persecution has impelled us to follow Christ

Thijs

The Institute of the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa gained three new members April 8. They made the solemn profession of vows in the state of Orissa, India. In this city in 2008 there was a great massacre with more than 100 dead and more than 50,000 Christians displaced.

The three new sisters affirm that the anti-Christian massacres, rather than being an obstacle, have contributed to their decision to join. “They have not discouraged us, rather they have impelled us to follow Christ.”

For those who can understand Italian, the full story on the link below;
http://www.fides.org/it/news/64024-ASIA_INDIA_Tre_nuove_suore_le_persecuzioni_ci_hanno_incoraggiato_a_seguire_Cristo

This is what google translate says...

Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - "The anti-Christian massacres of 2008 did not discourage me, but rather encouraged me to follow Christ": the three new religious of the Institute of the Carmelite Sisters of Saint Teresa (CSST) affirmed that they have issued the solemn profession of vows on 8 April last in the Indian state of Orissa. These are Sister Rajani Ekka, Sr. Kristina Pradhan and Sr. Janani Pradhan. Over 500 faithful were present at the liturgy celebrated in the Catholic Church of St. Paul, in Balliguda, in the district of Kandhamal, and presided over by Msgr. John Barwa, Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar. In the district of Kandhamal there were the anti-Christian massacres that in 2008 caused 100 deaths and 50 thousand displaced persons.
"God has given you a special call at the service of his Kingdom, with your commitment and dedication you will be able to do God's will", said Msgr. Barwa in his homily, underlining the virtues of "patience, perseverance, hope in the Lord", which animated the five wise virgins in the Gospel of Matthew.
Sister Kristina Pradhan, 32, from the parish of Kurtumgarh, was the victim of anti-Christian violence in 2008: at that time she was a postulant in her religious institute. He told Fides: "I saw the pain and agony of my people, persecuted and tortured inhumanly, and killed for the love of Christ, which really encouraged me to remain firm in the faith and today I receive my perpetual profession", with which definitively embraces the vows of consecrated life.
Sister Janani Pradhan, 32, comes from a parish of Jesuit missionaries: "Neither fear nor threat could induce me to renounce my faith." The pain and agony of anti-Christian violence have rather determined me to persevere in my vocation to religious life. "he said.
The congregation was founded in Ernakulam on 24 April 1887 by Sister Teresa of Santa Rosa da Lima, now known as the Institute of the Carmelite Sisters of Santa Teresa. The charism of the congregation is
"to live with the compassionate love of God in contemplation" and "to promote justice towards all, especially the poor and the marginalized". The sisters are committed to human dignity, to the weak and the marginalized, especially for women and children. The sisters are present in 5 provinces in India, in the states of Kerala, Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Orissa and over 1000 sisters are on a mission to India, Africa, Kenya, United Arab Emirates and Canada. (PN) (Agenzia Fides 12/4/2018)

On 4/21/2018 at 6:50 AM, deusluxmea said:

The sisters are present in 5 provinces in India, in the states of Kerala, Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Orissa and over 1000 sisters are on a mission to India, Africa, Kenya, United Arab Emirates and Canada. (PN) (Agenzia Fides 12/4/2018)

Whoaaa!!! They have over a thousand sisters!