An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate?

LoveZoe11

Does anyone have any news on the Franciscan's of the Immaculate? I tried getting in touch with their vocations director a couple of months ago, but the email came back as not in service.

Unfortunately, the Franciscans of the Immaculate have been under "investigation" by the Vatican for some time now, and it has escalated to the point that the Vatican is not allowing them to accept new vocations for three years.  A tidbit from lifesitenews.com:

"The female branch, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate, have been under investigative visitation by Cardinal Braz de Aviz since 2014. Sister Fernanda Barbiero of the Institute of the Sisters of St. Dorothy, an “up-to-date” nun with moderately feminist tendencies, was nominated commissioner over the order; she was succeeded by Sister Noris Adriana Calzavara from the Sisters of the Rosary."

I have not seen an actual media report about their not being able to accept new vocations, but if you follow Jade Banks' vocation story, you will see how she discerned with the Franciscans of the Immaculate, was accepted and given an entry date.  Then, the Vatican came down hard on them.  

Here is a video where she talks about entering the Franciscans of the Immaculate.  She is interviewed by the Laboure Society, which offers grants to those whose student loans are preventing entry:  

Later, this article shows up:

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/12/franciscan-sisters-of-immaculate-cant.html

And here, she talks about her call to Carmel and how she couldn't enter the first community she desired:

Traditional orders are under great scrutiny right now.  Several have been suppressed under this papacy, and several more are under investigation.  I consider this only a "hiccup".  After all, St. Athanasius, the great defender of the faith against Arianism, was excommunicated and exiled numerous times.  In the end, we consider him one of our greatest saints.  Every time the devil looks like he is winning and God is losing, some great event comes along to show that the opposite is the truth.  After all, what could be a bigger win than killing God?  And yet, look what it gained us! 

Please, pray for the Franciscans of the Immaculate!  They need our prayers just as much as we need theirs!

JHFamily, 

Thanks for the information. I knew about the investigation I didnt know about them not being able to accept new vocations. That is unfortunate. :|

The public reason for investigation and suspension of new entrances may be thought of as because of traditionalism, but there is never just one reason for investigation. My cousin was in preparation for final vows with them and left just before the investigation got serious for reasons that are much more intense than a supposed dislike for the order by the pontiff. She was not the only one. She chose not to make public statements out of love for Christ and his holy mother, but suffice to say an investigation is the most mild of realities possible as an outcome for the order. She has since entered a different order and is much happier and healthier.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:50 PM, JHFamily said:

Traditional orders are under great scrutiny right now.  Several have been suppressed under this papacy, and several more are under investigation.  I consider this only a "hiccup".  After all, St. Athanasius, the great defender of the faith against Arianism, was excommunicated and exiled numerous times.  In the end, we consider him one of our greatest saints.  Every time the devil looks like he is winning and God is losing, some great event comes along to show that the opposite is the truth.  After all, what could be a bigger win than killing God?  And yet, look what it gained us! 

Please, pray for the Franciscans of the Immaculate!  They need our prayers just as much as we need theirs!

I have been upset that our main source of news is Lifesite which is for me a Liesite and we must be aware that this website spews hatred to Pope Francis, his works and writings. Word of caution and I do not want to debate here, if you wanted to know the source of the news regarding Catholicism as it is, Lifesite is not reliable source.

If a religious community has been investigated that means there is an existing abuse that is happening or things that needs to be clarified. Look at the case of Legionaries of Christ as an example,  Sodalitium Christianae Vitae and the recent traditionalist fraternal brotherhood in Belgium.  Let us refrain from the narrative that Pope Francis hates traditionalist as espouse by rabidly tradddies website like Lifesite, Rorate Caeli etc.

Pray for the religious orders and lay societies that needs reform or under investigation. For us find out really what is happening by looking at what really happens rather than looking at clickbait sites mentioned above. If your vocation is really with the said group then pray with them and wait and  am pretty sure they as well respect and put themselves under the judgement of the Church. 

I have knowledge of the situation and would simply suggest that you look elsewhere in your discernment. Rome is reluctant to act for any but the most serious reasons, and those investigating are unable to officially comment until the investigation concludes. At the same time, any fool with a traditionalist website can and will circulate spurious allegations which remain unfalsifiable without knowledge of details of the investigation. 

Pope Francis, whatever you might think of him, is experienced as a member of a religious community and is exceptionally familiar with the many difficulties which can befall them. As one example, he saw significant problems with the IVE before most others and was instrumental in their expulsion from Argentina. He has experience with abusive religious communities; he has done this before. 

The FI are pontifical rather than diocesan so their ordinary is the Pope. He's doing his job.

21 hours ago, underatree said:

Pope Francis, whatever you might think of him, is experienced as a member of a religious community and is exceptionally familiar with the many difficulties which can befall them. As one example, he saw significant problems with the IVE before most others and was instrumental in their expulsion from Argentina. He has experience with abusive religious communities; he has done this before. 

IVE is still in Argentina and never been expelled.  I have meet a good number of IVE priests and they are sound solid. I applaud what the Church did to their founder which expelled him and prohibit him from contacting members. https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/12/27/institute-incarnate-word-founder-guilty-sexual-misconduct/

They are great missionaries and what the Church need nowadays. 
http://www1.ive.org/en/incarnate-word-in/south-america-provincia-nuestra-senora-de-lujan

underatree

I know the IVE Info site is biased but the information on it is absolutely factual and fairly easily verifiable if you have a little Spanish/Italian/Latin; try this link and this one for more details on the history of the IVE community.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 8:50 AM, JHFamily said:

Unfortunately, the Franciscans of the Immaculate have been under "investigation" by the Vatican for some time now, and it has escalated to the point that the Vatican is not allowing them to accept new vocations for three years.  A tidbit from lifesitenews.com:

"The female branch, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate, have been under investigative visitation by Cardinal Braz de Aviz since 2014. Sister Fernanda Barbiero of the Institute of the Sisters of St. Dorothy, an “up-to-date” nun with moderately feminist tendencies, was nominated commissioner over the order; she was succeeded by Sister Noris Adriana Calzavara from the Sisters of the Rosary."

I have not seen an actual media report about their not being able to accept new vocations, but if you follow Jade Banks' vocation story, you will see how she discerned with the Franciscans of the Immaculate, was accepted and given an entry date.  Then, the Vatican came down hard on them.  

Good Morning All,

I am a newbie here and in process of vocational discernment.  I have had a long road discerning since 2015.  After the pilgrimage to Fatima-Spain-Lourdes in Oct 2014, I keep thinking of to be a nun and one of the Sisters I saw in the Marian procession at Fatima is the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate.  I did not know what religious order that Sister belongs to until now.  I am living in Boston and just found out the Sisters in New Bedford MA moved to Italy and Philippines.  And now from the post above of JHFamily that they are now allowed to accept vocation.  I was in tears last night.  Does anyone know this ban has been lifted up?  If it was officially banned in 2014 then the order should be able to accept vocation?

If you can see in this clip which I made after the pilgrimage, at the 5:42 you can see 2 Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate 

Thanks and have a great blessing day!

I am honesty unsure of what their status is  now, but I do believe they are still in the investigative phase.   I would just write and inquire.  It would be better to know their status for sure than to make assumptions.

I will add you to my prayers.  I know of a young priest who was offering Mass for them when the friars were not allowed to celebrate the EF for them.  He  holds them in high regard.

Sister Leticia

Hello Jacinta and welcome to this forum!

I was reading the age barrier thread and saw that you posted there, saying you are 48 years old. I'm pretty sure that even if these sisters are in a position to start accepting candidates again, that they probably have an upper age limit a lot lower than 48. So please, don't suspend your life and your discernment waiting for them to be able to invite you to visit, start discerning etc - it could be a long wait. Continue making contact with other communities, and follow some of the suggestions made on that other thread - your home may well lie there, and not with these sisters. 

Blessings on your journey!

Echoing Sister Leticia. I may not have understood you correctly, but it sounds as if you haven't really interacted with these sisters much, you just saw them in the procession at Fatima. I don't think it's a good idea to pin all your hopes on a community whom you've only seen and haven't yet got to know. Definitely write to them, but also contact one or two other communities. If devotion to Mary is important to you, you could look for communities with a strong Marian spirituality. I only know one religious community in Boston and I'm not sure of their age limit, but if you got in touch with the diocese they should have a directory. God bless your discernment. :)