An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters of St. Paul

passerby

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Daughters of St. Paul. I am intrigued by their apostolate of using media. Does one have to be good at media related things to be a good fit with their community? What is their daily life like? I would think that their work would make it more likely that their applicants are younger but do they have an age limit? Do they pray together? Since I've never met them I thought people here might have some things they can share.

TIA 

I don't know the inner workings, but I know for a fact they pray together.

IF you're good at media, they might assign you to media production (which is done at the motherhouse - Boston?), but they also have bookstores all over the country, so a lot of the sisters work in those. The community at a given bookstore might be three-four-five sisters. They stock shelves, ring up sales, keep track of inventory, assist customers in finding the kinds of books they're interested - it's retail. So it helps if you like to read - the sisters read the books they stock (so they know where to refer customers), I think they have children's reading circles, and stuff like that.

They also set a "friends of the order" group in most cities and have an annual fund-raising dinner, and monthly or quarterly newsletters - all the regular stuff. 

So I think they can use whatever skills you have. 

I have no idea whether there's an age limit for entrants.

I was briefly in contact with one of their vocations directors but have little advice or knowledge to offer. (Except they took quite a while to get back to me and forgot about our first scheduled Skype call, so don't worry if they seem like they're pawning you off!)

According to their website, http://vocations.daughtersofstpaul.com, their come and see weekends are for women between the ages of 18-30. That's not to say that they have an upper limit though, sometimes orders just want to restrict the number of women on a Come and See or encourage more women who are of college age/ similar in age to try engender some fellowship, so I guess if you're over 33, you might have to ask them if they'd be willing to accompany you.

As for the apostolate, I know a St Paul Sister in England: she isn't of the same congregation as the Daughters of St Paul, but her congregation are older and do the same thing in a less-cool way. In any case, because technology and media outreach changes so quickly, I think orders that use that type of apostolate would keep you 'trained up'. Media skills are not expected before you come, but rather developed as you become a member of the Order. Similarly, there are so many other ways to work within such an order, as Luigi rightly pointed out. Even with teaching Orders, not every Sister teaches... some are involved in formation or the infirmary or administration or missionary work and parish catechesis...  It's wherever you can best serve.

Would love to hear how your search goes,

prayers for you.

Sister Leticia

I know several Daughters of St Paul here in England. I had assumed they were the same congregation as the US ones, but I see Lou says they're not. Anyway, I'm sure they all have the same founders and the same spirit and charism, of evangelisation through the media - and whatever means possible.

One of the sisters I know is a graphic designer and a very gifted and creative photographer, and her work is often used on the bookmarks sold in their shops. You can find her photos, with simple captions, on Instagram

Another sister works for the National Office of Vocation, where her strength is media resources (though that's only part of her job). The others I know work in sales and distribution (books, DVDs etc). They've all studied theology as part of their formation, and their international novitiate is in Rome. 

Having seen some of the US sisters on social media, I'd say the the British ones are less media-savvy, in that I don't see them on Twitter (except for the one who works for NOV), though they do use FB, both personally and pages for their media outlets. But they are excellent on a personal level, and there's always a lovely, friendly, helpful atmosphere in their shops, whether sisters are there or not. 

Here's the website for the British sisters, which has a section on their spirituality   https://www.paulineuk.org/daughters-of-st-paul

Oh no sorry, the Sisters you linked are the same congregation. The sister I referenced is from another Pauline / St Paul media outreach order which is called the Sisters of St Paul or Sisters of St Peter and Paul- I can't remember and can't find it online! I just wanted to explain their similar charism and the way they treat those less media savvy candidates! 

Sister Leticia

Can't help you, I'm afraid, the only Sisters of St Paul I know are the ones with their motherhouse in Selly Park - but their ministries are things like education, social work, spirituality - not media work. But I could ask one of my FSP friends if they know these other sisters - presumably all part of the same family.

All good, she works in a bookshop and does media-ish things and there are a few younger Italian sisters in her community. My sister stayed with them, somewhere not far from London. 

I think the Daughters of St Paul are a more "happening" order at the moment (should your call be "Pauline" in nature)! Two of their US based Postulants made a small YouTube series a while ago which could be worth checking out. It was what prompted me to send them an email! They seemed so joyful and in a place where they would get a good formation, spiritual foundation and education. Also another of their sisters, Sr Helena Byrnes/ Burns writes a blog which may also give an insight into their life. I believe she's based in Toronto! 

Antonella
1 hour ago, Sister Leticia said:

One of the sisters I know is a graphic designer and a very gifted and creative photographer, and her work is often used on the bookmarks sold in their shops. You can find her photos, with simple captions, on Instagram.

I love her photos! I've been following her for some time.

The Daughters of St. Paul are a blessing for the Internet.  I love their blogs and YouTube videos. Even the postulants have a a YouTube channel. Here is "a day in the life" video.

Thank you everyone. Your answers were very insightful. I was particularly concerned since I'm not on twitter or instagram that I may not be the right fit. Their work is certainly needed. Has anyone visited/discerned with them? What made you want to visit them?

Marysheart

The Daughters of saint Paul are a lovely group of sisters. They have several book stores throughout the United States. Their book stores even have a chapel with Eucharist adoration. They have a great balance of prayer and work.  Of course a special devotion to the Eucharist. Which is wonderful. If you are looking for an active community and feel the Lord is calling you to one. It's definitely worth to check them out.

Last Saturday I went to Pauline Books and Media in St. Louis. It is very neat. St. Louis is where their postulants are stationed.  I saw six sisters and the chapel was very peaceful. 

We have now had two Pastorelle Sister in our parish who are in the Pauline Family - beautiful human beings and religious sisters - very gentle and sensitive, loving.  One was our pastoral associate, the other still is.

providence

I have several friends who have entered this community and know them very well. I was excited to happen upon this post! I'll try to answer your questions and hope this information is helpful to you.

-Does one have to be good at media related things to be a good fit with their community?

Not at all. What's important is your spirituality: do you desire to know Jesus, and do you want to share him with the world? The sisters that I know in this order are all very different in terms of their talents, their apostolates, and their backgrounds but they all have that desire to know and share Jesus in common. It's that double sense of the word, right, to be in communion with him, to communicate him.

That said, it's amesome if you are drawn to the media apostolate and would like to learn more about it! You don't have to have any skills or experience in it already, though. Not all the Daughters do the same stuff! Many have social media or work with the internet...but many don't. You just don't see them online so it's not as obvious from the outside :) There are sisters who work in the publishing house, who work on the radio, who work in music... and lots of sisters are assigned to an apostolate they know nothing about and learn "on the job."

tl;dr: God provides.

- What is their daily life like?

Honestly it varies a LOT from sister to sister and community to community, because of the varied nature of the apostolate. But the general outline as far as I can tell has all the same elements: the day starts with half an hour of meditation, morning prayer, and mass; then the day consists of the apostolate, shared meals, community recreation, evening prayer, and at some point an hour of adoration.

- I would think that their work would make it more likely that their applicants are younger but do they have an age limit?

Their stated age limit is 30, at least for the U.S. sisters, but I would get in touch with a vocation director regardless. It's always best to discuss these situations one-on-one.

- Do they pray together?

Yes! the sisters pray morning and evening prayer together, and attend Mass together. Sisters also make holy hours throughout the day, sometimes together, but usually individually.

Feel free to PM if you want to hear more about my experience with the sisters, I'm happy to help if I can!

dominicansoul

I was heavily invested in this community for the first 10 years of my discerning religious life.  It started all so innocently, I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Mass Comm and was looking for experience in anything w/media.  So, walking into my parish office one day, I saw one of their adverts on the bulletin board and contacted them...not because I was interested in ever becoming a nun, heck no!  I just wanted to use my mass comm talents to help them in any way.  

They gave me more than publishing media experience, they woke up my heart to religious life.  I discerned seriously with them for about 5 of those first 10 years, visiting the Motherhouse several times, took all sorts of entrance application examinations, met and grew in love of the community.  The members that really stuck out to me were the older ones who were there at the very beginning of the American apostolate.  Sr. Augusta, especially, who passed away just a month ago at the age of 102.  I met her in her 80s, and she was strong and just as rambuctious as I was.  So in love with Jesus Christ!  

I had several entrance dates to enter the community but in the end, decided against entering because in all the discernment activities they opened up for me, they helped me discover what religious life meant, and the many different ways it could be lived.  I was more drawn to traditional monastic settings than theirs.  IT was heartbreaking when I finally told them, that yes, I loved them dearly, but I had fallen in love with another way of life, and I couldn't get myself to commit.  

Please consider them, they are a wonderful community filled with beautiful souls doing outstanding work for the Church.