An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advice for a Discerning Newbie

knighterrant

knighterrant

Hello Everyone!

I'm not sure where to begin so I will just start explaining and hopefully I will have gotten everything across. 

I'm a not quite 30 year old, male who just graduated with a bachelors in engineering last week. I joined the Church this past Easter Vigil after a deacade of trying to win my family over to the idea. 

Originally, I was going for a degree in a different field of engineering. I had always said that it would take an act of God to prevent me from getting my original degree and when I was nearly done with that degree, I was struck by a hit and run driver while riding my bicycle to campus.  It took me 5ish years to recover physically. 

During this time, I discovered that a lot of misconceptions I had about the Church were just that, misconceptions. I had a lot of time on my hands while my body recovered and I discovered the beauty, peace, and order that goes along with keeping some of the hours of the liturgy of the hours. I kept as many of the hours as I could manage and I picked up the rosary during this time also. 

So I eventually convinced my family and friends that joining the Roman Catholic Church wasn't such a bad idea and I was finally able to join on this past Easter Vigil. 

I know I have just joined the faith but I have always been a Christian and I have been familiarizing myself with the Church for a few years now. 

Is it crazy or arrogant to think that I need to discern what to do with my life?  I am beginning to think that God might better use me someplace other than in a plant someplace.    

I know it may be getting to be crunch time for some orders, considering my age, but I feel that this is something that I need to get out of the way. 

If anyone has any advice or insights, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PS- I might have jumped the gun and contacted a Jesuit priest to sort of talk about this stuff also but I wanted to get the input of you guys as well.  Also  I don't have a spiritual director yet but I do have a certain priest that I go to confession for on a regular basis.  

Getting in touch with a Jesuit isn't "jumping the gun", it's right; it's not necessarily about getting vocation direction yet, but having a spiritual 'elder' guide your journey is always good, as is a separate confessor! 

Asking God what to do in life is also an ongoing unfurling question, again, not necessarily about joining the priesthood or entering religious life, but we all should ask God each day what he wants of us, discern the Father's will in all things- not just the bigger questions, but even the in the seemingly mundane everydayness, we are called to witness to his guidance.

Regarding your age! God won't allow that to be an impediment if he does want you in religious life. Also sometimes I think this is a stricter thing for women (or so I've found), but I could be wrong. 30 is still fairly young, don't get caught on that- get caught on God! 

However, most Orders do expect candidates to have been confirmed for at least 2 years before entering. This allows them to discern between those fervent newly enthused- burning with the zeal of first fervour, and those genuinely seeking God.

please don't get me wrong- I'm not dismissing your feelings / discernment as "first fervour", rather just a small warning or disclaimer of what might occur or what you might hear. When we look to St Paul, we see a Saint so intense and on fire with God's love initially, that he had to be sent off for a few years to #calmdown before setting off on missions again. Almost like a modern day candidacy/ postulancy- we need formation before we can BUZZ around spreading the love of God; we have a responsibility and a duty of care to act discernibly and competently.

lastly! Well done for entering the Church without your family's support. That takes bravery and whatever God asks of you, he knows of your resilience and determination. 

May the prayers of the Phamily guide you! 

Thirty is not too old, these days, for most orders of men.

Most orders would love to have a member with engineering knowledge. So would most parishes/dioceses.

Lou is right about the "new converts" part - most orders require "practicing Catholic for three years or more" or something similar.

Definitely talk to your confessor. He probably knows you - as a Catholic - better than anyone else.

Also talk to a number of orders' vocation ministers - Dominicans, Benedictines (they pray more of the liturgy of the hours than most active orders), Congregation of Alexian Brothers, Franciscans, etc. If you're new to the faith, you should start surveying the diversity of spiritualities and ministries available within the Church.

A lot of the orders also have profiles of their members, or of their men in formation. Survey a bunch of those, too - you'll see that there's no cookie-cutter mold for members of religious orders. If you want specific sites, I can send them to you in private message.

Lastly, welcome to the Church! Glad to have you as a brother!

Just one more note.  Though, undoubtedly, you will be asked to wait 2-3 years, you may still begin the discernment process with orders or your diocese.  Just understand from the outset that it will be a slow process.

knighterrant

Thanks guys!  This is some solid advice here.

I am cool with working out in industry for 3-4 years before really getting into the process.  It is good to know that most orders have a requirement like that. Nice mention of St Paul too. Really puts it in perspective. 

Thanks for the reassurance with everything, especially with feeling things out right now.  I contacted someone from the Dominicans too.  I'll keep looking and learning I guess.  When my go-to priest gets back from his trip, I will talk with him too to get his input.

Thanks again.  You guys are amesome!