An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life - funny anecdotes

BarbTherese

13 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I think that in the pursuit of any vocation at all, a sense of humour is a great gift and wonderful asset.

"I would have her distinguished by Christ-like charity, a limpid simplicity of soul, heroic generosity, selflessness, unfailing loyalty, prudent zeal, gracious courtesy, an adaptable disposition, solid piety, and the saving grace of a sense of humor."  Mother Mary Joseph Rogers, founder, on what characterizes a Maryknoll Sister.

Kayte Postle

Having a sense of humor in religious life always makes me think of Mother Angelica. I saw this particular post on facebook the other day, and it gave me a good laugh.

37005288_10156675916934742_4504631695126

• 3 weeks later...

Anecdotes, you say?

There is always the time I clogged the toilet of my community on the day the Archbishop was due to stop by for tea.

As we only have one toilet in that house (holy poverty is where it's at), I was mortified. One sister bravely went in and tried to unclog it with the help of an unravelled coat-hanger. After poking the coat hanger about for a while, she backed out of the bathroom, looked at me, and said solemnly, "It's made it worse."

It had. The, err, contents of the toilet were now floating about level with the rim. Sister got on the phone to the plumber. He wasn't able to come out until the next day at the earliest. I burst out in horror, "But what are we going to do?" Sister said serenely, "We're all right. We've got buckets. It's the bishop we've got to worry about. He is elderly and I don't know what his bladder will be like at his age."

Cue a serious conference on the probable state of the Archbishop's bladder, with one sister deciding that the thing to do would be to invite him in to meet the next-door neighbours as soon as he arrived, so that if he did ask for the toilet there would be a working one that he could use.

Shortly after that incident they decided they would accept me as a postulant, so perhaps it endeared me to them somehow!

On 8/1/2018 at 6:42 PM, beatitude said:

It had. The, err, contents of the toilet were now floating about level with the rim. Sister got on the phone to the plumber. He wasn't able to come out until the next day at the earliest. I burst out in horror, "But what are we going to do?" Sister said serenely, "We're all right. We've got buckets. It's the bishop we've got to worry about. He is elderly and I don't know what his bladder will be like at his age."

This is absolutely hilarious and so HUMAN! "We've got buckets!" Amazing sisters right there...beautitude, are you still a sister, may I ask?