An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Often Do You Guys Read The Bible?

hopeful1

well right now, my goal is to read a chapter a day, but there are many days when it sadly does not happen after my other prayers. being the Word of God, I'm trying to make sure I at least read something out of it everyday. the daily Mass readings are a good place to start if you can get a daily missal.

Edited by slywakka250

Everyday and I miss it if I don't on the odd ocassion, like when I'm ill or something. It's a good discipline I learnt through the protestant church since the Bible was regarded as the only authority, though of course I'm having to unlearn 'personal interpretation'! I follow the daily Mass readings, aswell as doing other readings if I can.

I've also just begun to read the Catechism - it's amazing!

wow, I am sooooo bad. I used to read it everyday a few years ago, then my jr year of highschool happened. now it's like once, every few months. I used to go to a bible study at my church during, but the guy that did them suddenly became very busy and had to quit. We also has a group that meets regularly with a deacon, but they're taking a break during the summer. i'm thinking about checking it out when they start back up again.

cmotherofpirl

I say the Office so I guess you could say I am reading the bible :D
I also reading the book of Judges in the Navarre Bible.

It is amazing, did you know Israel was led by a woman? Deborah the prophetess not only lead her people but organized resistance against a powerful Northern King. Judges 4:1 to 5:32.

We have also started studying Creation over at catholicboard.com

Soldier4Him

You guys, the Bible ROCKS. Find the scripture thread on here if you "can't" find any other time to read scripture. The Bible is God's gift to us! IT'S HIS LOVE LETTER!!!!

I try to read out of it every night. How much I read each night varies. I read a book at a time, a bit each night, picking up where I left off the night before. I stop when I feel I'm suppose to stop. When God has gotten across to me what he wanted to that day. GET INTO DA WORD PEOPLE!

Rebirth flame

i try to read as often as i can remember, which, sadly enough, isn't much at all... that's something i hope to rectify in the near future... :D

oooohhh... rectify, that's a big word for me... :D

homeschoolmom

I do the daily mass readings with my kids (we even do the responses and Aleluia-- "okay kids, time for Mass practice")

I am also doing Jeff Cavins' Great Adventure bible study that calls for the reading of 14 narrative books. I'm almost done with Genesis. I read 4 chapters a day. but, okay, I miss a day from time to time... (and I just recently started)...

I have a habit of openning my Bible at some random page and read whatever I open to, usually do this once a day

Archbishop 10-K

[quote name='hopeful1' date='Jun 27 2004, 02:41 PM'] Just curious....me, ok, i'll admit it. I'm a slacker :rolleyes: I need some encouragement. [/quote]
If you need some encouragement, I was debating against a Protestant seminarian who was quoting Bible verses like mad. Like Soldier4Him said, we need to get into the Word. It's very possible to prove the Catholic faith only by Scripture, but only if you know the Scriptures well.

I just bought The Bible for Dummies today. You might want to get that.

ilovechrist

i'm now reading some every day...

i always read a couple different passages, but i'm now daily reading, b4 i go to bed, 1 Tim 4:12. it's a great verse that really pumps me and sets my mind to do whatever i can do to honor Him!

cmotherofpirl

Father Trigilo [who wrote [i]Catholicism for Dummies[/i]] came out with a new book on the Bible!!!!

:clap:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1593370261/qid=1088387338/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-6733574-6128929?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846[/url]

Edited by cmotherofpirl