An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Often Do You Guys Read The Bible?

hopeful1

I wonder how many people here have read every word of the bible. I have started it a couple times, and have been unable to make it all the way through.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i refuse to read the old testemant but i have read most of the new teastement

[quote name='slywakka250' date='Jun 25 2005, 09:03 PM']I wonder how many people here have read every word of the bible. I have started it a couple times, and have been unable to make it all the way through.
[right][snapback]623743[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have, er, three or four times, in three different translations :ph34r:. I'm a lot older than most of you guys, though. :)

Some parts are reaaaaaally boooooooooring. :sleep:

Straight through, front-to-back is not the way to do it. Ugh.

wow, this thread is about a year old! well, i guess a little update is in order. in the past few weeks i've actually gotten a little better. i've recently spoken to a priest about this and, as silly as it sounds, he told me to consider it a date with jesus and that i shouldn't stand up my date. i know it sounds really crazy, but it's helping me to remember and in the past week or two i've been reading out of john. there are still some days where i don't get to it at all, but i've gotten better. which reminds me.....

jesus and i are going out tonight :D

:P

phatcatholic

i spend so much time reading about theological topics and engaging in apologetics that i read something from the bible every day. usually, i intend to just look up a verse, and find myself reading entire letters or books.

I don't find myself study-reading the Bible... or trying to read it cover to cover or anything

maybe one day I'll get to doing that again... I used to do it a bunch

but for now, is is something that I hear in the liturgy
something that, when I ever do personally read, I do with reverence and prayer and not an entire book or specific verse

phatcatholic

hey aloy, since ur up, read over [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=34951&view=findpost&p=622182"]this post[/url] and tell me if i need to make any changes.

nick

Edited by phatcatholic

nope... looks good to me. :cool:

unless it contradicts the dogmatic canons of all those pre-Nicaea councils... then we might need to make some changes

lol sorry, couldn't resist! :rolling:

one tip i have heard is to put a Bible next to your bed, so if you have gone your whole day without reading a word, you can read some before you go to bed. You don't have to read a whole chapter, or a whole page, you can read just a verse. it will take you forever to get through a book, but that is not the point... the point is to make sure you never go a day without reading [i]something[/i] out of the Bible.

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 26 2005, 02:54 PM']one tip i have heard is to put a Bible next to your bed, so if you have gone your whole day without reading a word, you can read some before you go to bed.  You don't have to read a whole chapter, or a whole page, you can read just a verse.  it will take you forever to get through a book, but that is not the point... the point is to make sure you never go a day without reading [i]something[/i] out of the Bible.
[right][snapback]624532[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

good tip